none
sync failures and can't delete old databases

Question

• In follow-up to a previous thread (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/enUS/sharepoint2010setup/thread/3d7b926c-49ff-421c-8fed-651ac0fee152)

I'm receiving the same error when attempting to delete the old databases as the previous author, I have all the current CU's applied thru April 2011, v14.0.5138.5001... the account I'm using to run the stsadm is a local admin, SharePoint Farm admin and a SQL server Sysadmin...

I can use stsdm -o sync -listolddatabases 1 to view all of the old databases, yet when I try to delete them with stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 1

I get the following..
    A failure occurred during the processing of this command. Check diagnostic logs for more information

In looking into the logs I'm seeing the following error, only the first few lines for brevity...

05/10/2011 10:14:51.29  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          Unified Logging Service        b8fx High     ULS Init Completed (STSADM.EXE, onetnative.dll) 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.35  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          Database                       8u1d High     Flushing connection pool 'Data Source=spdb;Initial Catalog=SharePointConfig;Integrated Security=True;Enlist=False;Connect Timeout=15' 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.35  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          General                        avew High     An application domain named STSADM.EXE has just been loaded. 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.40  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (Initializing Admin OM). Execution Time=933.012996411332 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.48  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Server              Unified Logging Service        b8fx High     ULS Init Completed (STSADM.EXE, Microsoft.Office.Server.Native.dll) 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.54  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x0A78 SharePoint Foundation          Object Cache                   9j6t High     SPXmlDocCache cache parameters are: high water mark 10485760 bytes, low water mark 5242880 bytes, interval 180000 ms 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.79  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (GetProcessSecurityTokenForServiceContext). Execution Time=163.443317631765 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.79  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (CreateChannelAsProcess:Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.IProfilePropertyService). Execution Time=166.593529546114 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.81  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (ExecuteOnChannel:GetProfileProperties). Execution Time=279.555736901398 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.82  STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  eh0x High     Exception occured while connecting to WCF endpoint: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.    Server stack trace:      at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy... 
    05/10/2011 10:14:52.82* STSADM.EXE (0x10B0)                      0x14E4 SharePoint Portal Server       User Profiles                  eh0x High     ....Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown at [0]:      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.IProfilePropertyService.GetProfileProperties()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfilePropertyServiceClient.<>c__DisplayClass1.<GetProfileProperties>b__0(IProfilePropertyService channel)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.MossClientBase`1.ExecuteOnChannel(String operationName, CodeBlock codeBlock)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfilePropertyServiceClient.ExecuteOnChannel(String operationName, CodeBlock codeBlock) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance Gerald
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:16 PM

Answers

• Rock;

I was able to resolve the sync issue this weekend... not saying that this is the "correct" fix" but it worked for me..

1. locked all of the Site collections into read-only mode
    2. rebooted all the WFEs'
    3. ran "psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force" on the CA WFE
    4. ran "psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait" on the other WFE's
    5. logged in as sp_farm and ran stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 1
    6. unlocked all of the site collections

All is seems to be fine now...

thanks for your support and help..

Thanks in advance Gerald
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi VaperWare,

From your post, you mentioned that the account you ran is a local admin, SharePoint farm admin and SQL server sysadmin. It seems that you didn’t install SharePoint on a Domain Controller. Is that true?

Firstly, please check if the user running the user profile service application have permissions set in the User Profile Service application. You can refer to the following thread to check this setting:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010programming/thread/09ca1621-1c26-4208-ab62-7bf52df14e23/

If not, please grant it full control permission, then check the effect.

In addition, you can user process monitor to analyze the issue. Download this tool from here, then open this tool, record the Process ID(PID) of cmd.exe and STSADM.EXE, then add a filter for this PID, then re-run the command, wait for the issue occurs, finally, post the related error into the forum for further analyze.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Rock,

Thanks for the reply, your correct I did not install SharePoint on a DC... it’s a 4 server farm (3 wfe, 1 SQL).. The account I'm using is a standard domain user account "SharePointAdmin" it has no special permissions within in the domain..

I have the farm configured in a least privilege configuration, so in reference to granting an account permissions to the UPS application. Which account? The one that's running the FIM service (FimSvcAcct) or the one that's configured to read the AD/LDAP (SPUserSync) ?

I did verify that the FimSvcAcct already had Full Control permissions as mentioned in the reference thread... I will download process monitor and setup a monitoring session afterhours to avoid user impact...

Thanks for your help.. I'll post more information as it becomes available..

Thanks in advance Gerald
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Rock;

I was able to resolve the sync issue this weekend... not saying that this is the "correct" fix" but it worked for me..

1. locked all of the Site collections into read-only mode
    2. rebooted all the WFEs'
    3. ran "psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force" on the CA WFE
    4. ran "psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait" on the other WFE's
    5. logged in as sp_farm and ran stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 1
    6. unlocked all of the site collections

All is seems to be fine now...

thanks for your support and help..

Thanks in advance Gerald
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:22 PM