Difference between UserProfile & User Information List Property Values?

Question

• If I checks the FirstName & LastName Property values in UserProfile it has someValue however the same properties does not have anyValue in User Information List, what would the reason behind this?

Even I could see comma (",") separated value for some Field in UIL however the same value is in UserProfile without comma (",") ....

ProfileSync and/or QuickSync will update the UIL with same Information avail in UserProfile, isn't it? In that case both should have the same value, right?

Karthikeyan | MCTS | India
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:48 PM

Answers

• There may be many reasons. I would say, you can easily update the values using PowerShell.

Eg:

$UIList = $Spweb.Lists["User Information List"];

Using this, you should be able to update.

Crazy Nick | MCTS | India
    • Marked as answer by YajivAN Monday, November 01, 2010 5:53 PM
    Monday, November 01, 2010 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Keeping the information in the user information lists up to data is a task that is handled by the Profile Synchronization and the Quick Profile Synchronization timer jobs. By default the first job runs once every hour, the second one runs every couple of minutes and is incremental. but you can also kick off the job by running the stsadm sync command: stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1. For more information about the command, please refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263196.aspx

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Even thought the timer jobs "Profile Synchronization and the Quick Profile" are completed successfully, If I checks the FirstName & LastName Property values in UserProfile it has someValue however the same properties does not have anyValue in User Information List, what would the reason behind this?

FYI - some of the fields (i.e. picture, department) are in User Information List is upto date.

Karthikeyan | MCTS | India
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:40 AM
  • There may be many reasons. I would say, you can easily update the values using PowerShell.

Eg:

$UIList = $Spweb.Lists["User Information List"];

Using this, you should be able to update.

Crazy Nick | MCTS | India
    • Marked as answer by YajivAN Monday, November 01, 2010 5:53 PM
    Monday, November 01, 2010 5:53 PM