none
Can't drill down in Sharepoint 2010 and PerformancePoint 2010

Question

• Hi all,

I am currently spending some time looking at the BI parts in Sharepoint 2010. Most things work fine so far, but I encountered a problem when dealing with drill down.

In Dashboard Designer, I can create bar charts and grids without any problem. I can add measures and dimensions and all the numbers come in just fine. I can also drill down by selecting members when using the arrow button in the columns and rows panes. But when trying to drill in the report itself, I get the following error:

The report no longer exists or you do not have permissions to view it. Additional details have been logged for your administrator.

Contact the administrator for more details.”

I can deploy and watch the report in Sharepoint. If trying to drill down direct, I get the same error as above, BUT after trying to drill down a second time (first time works fine here). I can however drill down (and cross drill) as many times as I want using a decomposition tree, sort smallest to largest etc. But, when trying to choose Bar chart or Grid in the Decomp. window, I get the following error:

Error: Access Denied.

Current User

You are currently signed in as: DOMAIN\user

Sign in as a different user

I tried signing in as admin, but I got the same error.

I am using the AdventureWorks DW 2008R2 database, which is located on a database server. I have full control of the data source (when right clicking on the data source in Dashboard Designer and then Manage permissions). In the database engine database, I made myself dbo.

What might be wrong?

Friday, January 08, 2010 2:04 PM

Answers

• Our root site collection in SharePoint 2010 was configured and working but we still had the problem.  I ended up adding the user as a Visitor to the root site collection and that seemed to fix the problem.

Mark Infantino
    • Proposed as answer by LukaBD Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet BruggemanMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

I suspect you're running into a configuration-related issue we didn't get fixed in Beta. Are you working in a site collection other than the root (for example http://sharepoint/sites/a), and if so, is the root site collection (http://sharepoint/) configured & working?

If so, a work-around for Beta is to ensure a working root site collection. Such a workaround should't be required for Release. I'm not aware of another workaround for this one.

Wade Dorrell (wadedor@microsoft.com)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Our root site collection in SharePoint 2010 was configured and working but we still had the problem.  I ended up adding the user as a Visitor to the root site collection and that seemed to fix the problem.

Mark Infantino
    • Proposed as answer by LukaBD Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet BruggemanMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:32 PM