none
'Title - You must specify a value for this required field'

Question

• Suddenly receiving this error when trying to save changes to records in an access-based project database.  Any idea why this suddenly happened and how to fix this??

Many thanks!

Lynne

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:39 PM

Answers

• SharePoint is very attached to it's Title fields.  So, it's either that you can't delete it, or it's created Referential Integrity based on it to another table, and deleting it would violate the RI.

What are you really trying to accomplish?  Maybe this Access based deal isn't for you, and maybe we can come up with something else.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

• Marked as answer by Slynne212 Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Slynne212 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Slynne212 Monday, November 19, 2012 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• Somebody made the column/field required?

Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:08 PM
  • there is no title field and never has been...it's one of those access database project sites in OOB form.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Data/Content, whether it's in SharePoint or Access, must live somewhere, either a Table or List. 

Inside that object is a Field, which has a Required property.  It is set to Yes.

Most likely, someone has renamed your field "Title" to something else, or it's just not shown in the view during the data entry, and thus it doesn't get populated, thus the warning fires. (You can default the value to a dot(.) and maybe that will stop it.)

Check your table/list settings for all of the fields.  Feel free to post them here.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:43 PM
  • in fact, opened it in access and looks like there are title fields in each of the tables for the project database.  do you think I would be safe to either remove the title fields from all tables since none are populated with any data?  or just mark them as not required?  when I tried to do that on one I got the following message: 

EDIT: I created a new project site on the dev server to see if the title field is OOB, and it does not appear to be.  No idea how this snuck in there, I'm stumped.  Going to try deleting it.

If anyone has any ideas as to how this could have suddenly cropped up without the only admin touching it please throw me a bone!

• Edited by Slynne212 Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:27 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Okay. and now when I try to delete the field I get this:

Someone please help, no idea what is going on.  Can I somehow delete the fields through sharepoint or on the server directly?

Friday, November 02, 2012 12:52 AM
  • SharePoint is very attached to it's Title fields.  So, it's either that you can't delete it, or it's created Referential Integrity based on it to another table, and deleting it would violate the RI.

What are you really trying to accomplish?  Maybe this Access based deal isn't for you, and maybe we can come up with something else.

• Marked as answer by Slynne212 Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Slynne212 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Slynne212 Monday, November 19, 2012 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Well I created a new project database site, exact same template, and that is created without the title fields, so I think somehow they wormed themselves in there...it even says one of our guys edited the tables the day everything stopped working.

At the very least, I'd like to make the same structure in a list where there are different projects and you can associate multiple tasks with each project?  Ideally maybe even migrate the data from the access based to the new list version?

Or if there IS a way to get past any error messages and just pull those title fields out of there that would work too.

• Edited by Slynne212 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:24 PM
  • I can't really grasp the infrastructure, as I haven't played with the Access Database Projects very much.  Which template did you use?

But, assuming that lists have the data, then there are numerous ways to export the data.  Excel, Powershell, VS, etc.

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:31 PM