none
Non-Active Directory Users

Question

• Hello all...I'm a SharePoint newbie and  I'm in the planning stages of installing SharePoint Services 3.0 as a stand-alone server.  I will not be deploying SharePoint Server at this time.

I have some off-shore users that have local accounts on a single server and are not in my Active Directory.  Can you give me ideas how to deploy/configure SPS 3.0 so those users can access it?  I'm not sure this is even possible and searching around MS and Google didn't find anything specific to this issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can  lend.

Monday, December 03, 2007 7:53 PM

All replies

• Not sure if this works for your organization but you could allow anonymous access...

Monday, December 03, 2007 8:18 PM
  • Thanks, Zak, for the response.  I'll consider anonymous access as a solution assuming I can secure SPS appropriately.

Monday, December 03, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Hi,

you can configure SharePoint as such that not Windows Authentication is used, but Forms Based Authentication. As such you can set up a database in SQL Server for example containing users and passwords for users not in your Active Directory.

More explanation of how to set this up could be found at: http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/articles/HowToConfigPublishingSiteWithDualAuthProvidersAndAnonAccess.aspx

We set this up to give access to our installation for our customers which are off course not in our Active Directory and it works great.

Good luck.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Great link, Pratik.  Thanks a lot.  Question tho, does this require the impementation of MOSS?  I only planned on installing SPS 3.0 and not SharePoint Server.  The article kind of implies that MOSS is required but I want to be sure one way of the other before I start.

Thanks again, Pratik. 

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:54 PM
  •  

No you could set it up using WSS 3.0 aswell. You don't need MOSS.

BTW, another interesting link about this topic:

http://weblogs.mysharepoint.de/fabianm/archive/2006/11/23/5-Screencasts-to-Form-based-Authentication-in-SharePoint-2007.aspx

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Thanks a million, Pratik.  Another great link to get me started.  You've helped a great deal and I appreciate it.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Hi. Forms Based Auth is a preferrable option, but FYI, if the users already have local accounts on the server, you can still use the standard NTLM authentication. FBA is not required if you don't mind those users being able to log on using Windows Integrated Authentication. You would prefer using FBA if external users might be provided a self-registration option without messing with your active directory or if your security requirements demand that you keep local user accounts on the server to a minimum.
    Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:35 PM