none
Workflow Manager 1.0 - We're sorry the product failed to install

Question

• I had trouble with this in beta and I'm still having trouble with it now.  It completes step 1 and 2 but fails after that.  When examining the log, I get the following information.

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. 

MSI (s) (08:B8) [22:50:08:964]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=DoFabricSetup,ActionType=3090,Source=C:\Program Files\Windows Fabric\bin\Fabric\Fabric.Code.1.0\MSIHiddenAppLauncher.exe,Target=FabricSetup /operation:install /gac /trace:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\Fabric\log" /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\" /traceBufferSizeInKB:128 /traceFileSizeInMB:128 /fabricPrincipal:"NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService",)
    CustomAction DoFabricSetup returned actual error code 1 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    MSI (s) (08:B8) [22:50:09:527]: Note: 1: 1722 2: DoFabricSetup 3: C:\Program Files\Windows Fabric\bin\Fabric\Fabric.Code.1.0\MSIHiddenAppLauncher.exe 4: FabricSetup /operation:install /gac /trace:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\Fabric\log" /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\" /traceBufferSizeInKB:128 /traceFileSizeInMB:128 /fabricPrincipal:"NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" 
    MSI (s) (08:B8) [22:50:09:527]: Product: Windows Fabric -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action DoFabricSetup, location: C:\Program Files\Windows Fabric\bin\Fabric\Fabric.Code.1.0\MSIHiddenAppLauncher.exe, command: FabricSetup /operation:install /gac /trace:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\Fabric\log" /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\" /traceBufferSizeInKB:128 /traceFileSizeInMB:128 /fabricPrincipal:"NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" 

Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth

Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:53 AM
    Answerer

Answers

All replies

• I am also experiencing similar issues.  In fact, I think I experienced the same exact thing with the beta.  Others seem to be able to do this, but I have not been successful.  I've tried a variety of different installs (i.e. installing Workflow Manager first, then configuring Active Directory, then installing SQL/SP).  Please post if you get any resolution.  

With all RTM bits, I cannot get Windows Fabric to install (dependency of Service Bus, which is dependency for Workflow Manager).  See here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wflmgr/thread/121b649d-f742-414d-85a8-36089bf6706f

-Brian

Brian McCullough

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Yeah I am pretty sure I had this same issue on beta 2 and somehow managed to get past it.  I had a variety of issues to say the least.  Will keep everyone updated.

Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Is your machine configured as a Domain Controller?  What OS version/patch level you using?

Brian McCullough

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Yes.  It's a domain controller.  Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  It's the same that I used in beta.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Just pitching in here: Same problem here.

I'm trying to install to Windows Server 2012 RTM also configured as a Domain Controller. I heard somewhere installing on domain controllers is not supported(?), but the beta also installed fine. In the log below you can see the path /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\", the double slash doesn't work, though the path without the double slash works.

I don't have any quotes in the PSModulePath environment variable as elsewhere suggested.

MSI (s) (58:E8) [22:25:14:215]: Note: 1: 1722 2: DoFabricSetup 3: C:\Program Files\Windows Fabric\bin\Fabric\Fabric.Code.1.0\MSIHiddenAppLauncher.exe 4: FabricSetup /operation:install /gac /trace:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\Fabric\log" /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\" /traceBufferSizeInKB:128 /traceFileSizeInMB:128 /fabricPrincipal:"NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService"
    Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action DoFabricSetup, location: C:\Program Files\Windows Fabric\bin\Fabric\Fabric.Code.1.0\MSIHiddenAppLauncher.exe, command: FabricSetup /operation:install /gac /trace:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\Fabric\log" /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\" /traceBufferSizeInKB:128 /traceFileSizeInMB:128 /fabricPrincipal:"NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService"
    MSI (s) (58:E8) [22:25:15:784]: Product: Windows Fabric -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action DoFabricSetup, location: C:\Program Files\Windows Fabric\bin\Fabric\Fabric.Code.1.0\MSIHiddenAppLauncher.exe, command: FabricSetup /operation:install /gac /trace:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\Fabric\log" /fabricDataRoot:"C:\ProgramData\Windows Fabric\\" /traceBufferSizeInKB:128 /traceFileSizeInMB:128 /fabricPrincipal:"NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService"

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Thank you all for bringing this up. We have found the issue to be with our WEB PI feed which failes on servers running DC. We are working to fix it ASAP and would like to ask you to uninstall and reinstall Workflow & Service Bus .

I will reply to this thread once the new feed is uploaded.

Regards,

Ziv , Windows Azure Service Bus team

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:56 AM
  • We have released the fix.

Please uninstall Service Bus and reinstall it using WEB PI

regards

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:29 PM
  • I didn't have Service Bus installed successfully yet.  I just tried it again and it still fails. :(

The date in Web PI for Service Bus 1.0 still say 9/22/2012 though.  Do I need to wait for it to show a newer date?

Oh wait.  Closed Web PI again.  Tried it one more time (the third) and it went through.

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:35 PM
    Answerer
  • I have confirmed that getting the latest version of Service Bus separately using Web Platform Installer has resolved the issue.

Now, if we could only get updated development tools from Web PI? :)

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:44 PM
    Answerer
  • The fix is working as expected. Thanks Ziv! That was quick :-)

One needs to be sure to clear the Web Platform Installer Cache to get the latest Version.

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Yes, install and configuration successful on my VM (Windows Server 2008 R2 + SP1 + all latest patches + AD/DC in Server 2003 functional level).  Since I have the RTM bits of office, I need to wait for RTM bits of SPD to try out creating/running a new workflow.

I assume, then, that if folks are standing up a new VM from scratch, and they just run the Workflow Manager WebPI (see here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj193448), things will install/configure successfully?  Or is this thinking wrong and they need to download the Service Bus WebPI separate?

Also, with this in, should this resolve any issues I was seeing with Windows Server 2012 installation?

Thanks!

-brian

Brian McCullough

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi Brian,

You don't need to install Service Bus separately. When installing Workflow Manager through WebPI, it will take care of installing Service Bus (as well as other dependencies) as well.

Hope it helps!

Ramiro Berrelleza

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:17 PM
  • The RTM of SharePoint Designer 2013 is available on the download center now. Here is the blog posting from the SPD team: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2012/11/01/sharepoint-designer-2013-rtm-now-available.aspx

Ken Withee

Friday, November 02, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for the heads up Ken! Twitter was quicker though ;-) Now only waiting for the SharePoint Developer Tools for Visual STudio.
    Friday, November 02, 2012 8:26 PM
  • I'm unable to unistall the existing service bus install from add/remove programs as it insists the server is still part of a service bus farm, even though removing it through both the service bus configuration manager and service bus powershell says it's removed from the farm. Any ideas?
    Saturday, January 05, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Sandar, you reply in a thread about a failed installation and you want to uninstall. Also this thread is solved. Please post your own thread to receive answers on your own question.
    Saturday, January 05, 2013 7:28 PM