none
Add User Accounts to SharePoint 2010

Question

• Hi

I am trying to create Sharepoint user directly into sharepoint so that I can create calender entries. These user are not real users so they wont be loggin in sharepoint websites. so i am not using Forms based Authentication.

All my tries ended up choosing user from active directory pick up popup screen. Is it allowed to create users in sharepoint but not in AD or Local computer?

Please let me know how if it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Chamy

Chamy07
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:28 PM

Answers

• THanks for your replies..

What I did is I created a Sharepoint list calender view It solved my issue..

I did not have to add the user to sharepoint this way.

Thanks

Chamy

Chamy07
    • Marked as answer by Chamy07 Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:04 PM
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, SharePoint will always be using AD when you install the product, after that you have the possibility to use Forms Based Authentication.

In case of you, you would like to add users in SharePoint, but this is always based on FBA or AD.

Regards

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:41 PM
  • You will need to have the users somewhere in the 'system' - eithe in AD or local users or some other authentication system/user database,etc. Again depends on your SP2010 setup. SharePoint leverages on the users that are already present as mentioned. You cannot create a user directly in SharePoint.
    Blog: Alpesh Nakar's Blog | Twitter: Follow Alpesh on Twitter |SharePoint Resources: Just SharePoint Resource Center | Follow Just SharePoint updates on Twitter | SharePoint Conference South East Asia Singapore Oct 26-27 2010 | Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed | MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration | MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator
    Monday, July 26, 2010 10:59 PM
  • You cannot create a user in SharePoint. They must be coming from somewhere, such as AD or the local system, since SharePoint doesn't authenticate users. You can, however, create a profile for a user that is not in your system. Don't think this will help with your calendar issue or not, but it will make the person findable.
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:01 AM
  • The other replies talked around this, but I thought I'd say it explicitly. The only way to add a user to SharePoint is to authenticate that user within SharePoint. OOTB, SharePoint will authenticate AD users, but you can create your own authentication mechanism that gathers user data from anywhere you want.

In other words, if you add your own custom authetication, you can add your non-AD users.

- cawood
    blog | twitter
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:11 AM
  • THanks for your replies..

What I did is I created a Sharepoint list calender view It solved my issue..

I did not have to add the user to sharepoint this way.

Thanks

Chamy

Chamy07
    • Marked as answer by Chamy07 Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:04 PM
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Hold on! Are you saying that you created a SP list and created a calendar view and now users can see the calendar?

If that is the case, then I would like to draw your attention that in your Site Visitors SharePoint Group you have all authenicated users added and hence they can see it.

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

SharePoint Conference Southeast Asia Oct 26-27 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 11:40 PM