none
Central Admin http 500 error on new install

Question

• I had a MOSS 2007 stand-alone install on a Windows 2008 standard virtual server hosted by Windows 2008 Enterprise hyperV, and uninstalled using the uninstall programs in the control panel. I then installed SQL 2008 and re-installed MOSS 2007 in a farm configuration on the same server. When it attempts to open the central admin site, I get the http 500 error. I ran stsadm to force upgrade. The databases have been created, and the IIS 7 management console shows the web sites running. There are no errors recorded in the event manager. Is there something remaining in the registry from SQLExpress 2005 that did not get uninstalled? Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:23 AM

Answers

• If your first install was a Basic Installation as it seems you need in addition to uninstalling MOSS itself also to completely uninstall the embedded SQL Server 2005 Express otherwise there are problems with re-installs.

I.e. it looks as if you are already on the right track.

Someone else will have to give you details about how that complete uninstall of SQL S is done as I've never needed to do it :)
    • Marked as answer by dslaby Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:07 AM
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 2:07 PM

All replies

• If your first install was a Basic Installation as it seems you need in addition to uninstalling MOSS itself also to completely uninstall the embedded SQL Server 2005 Express otherwise there are problems with re-installs.

I.e. it looks as if you are already on the right track.

Someone else will have to give you details about how that complete uninstall of SQL S is done as I've never needed to do it :)
    • Marked as answer by dslaby Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:07 AM
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Thanks. I decided to create a new virtual server and reinstall. Uninstalling the embedded SQL Express edition will be something to keep in a back pocket.
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:06 AM