none
New Document requires a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application

Question

• Hi all.

I'm trying to create a new document using the 'New Document' menu item in Library Tools - Documents tab.

Clicking on it I get this message: 'New Document' requires a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application and web browser. To add a document to this document library, click the 'Upload Document' button.

The same using custom content types.

What should I check? thanks in advance

• Testing envirnonment: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    • SharePoint Server 2010 beta
    • Office 2007 Enterprise
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

• Known Issues in New Document functionality

Requires a 64-bit ActiveX control. Microsoft Office 2010 does not provide a 64-bit version of this control. Although the New Document command may not work, you can use the Upload Document functionality. If you install and configure Office Web Applications on the server, the New Document command works, and you can create an Office document in your browser.

Found the above at this TechNet Article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288142.aspx

Please go through this article in detail to understand the "New Document" limitation against each Browser Version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Cristian.Dev Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:30 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:55 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:08 PM
  • doesn't matter. If there isn't Micrsoft SharePoint Foundation installed, this functionality will not work indipendently by the browser in use; SharePoint Server does not include Foundation.. I presume.

Also, SharePoint Foundation's compatibility is only for Windows Server 2008.

right??

Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hi Cristian,

SharePoint Foundation can be installed on Windows 7 x64 too.  Check the instructions at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869%28office.14%29.aspx

Does your problem occur only in Firefox?  Can you test the same in Internet Explorer?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:04 AM
  • The problem occours also in IE.

I'm trying to install SharePoint Foundation via PowerShell but I'm having troubles with ConfigXmlPath variable.

This is my config.xml file

<Configuration>
    	<Package Id="sts"> 
    		<Setting Id="LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPSTS" Value="Yes" /> 
    	</Package>	
    	<Package Id="spswfe"> 
    		<Setting Id="SETUPCALLED" Value="1" /> 
    	</Package> 

<Logging Type="verbose" Path="%temp%" Template="SharePoint Server Setup(*).log" />- 
    	<PIDKEY Value="Enter Product Key Here" /> 
    	<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" /> 
    	<Setting Id="SERVERROLE" Value="APPLICATION" /> 
    	<Setting Id="USINGUIINSTALLMODE" Value="0" /> 
    	<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" /> 
    	<Setting Id="SETUPTYPE" Value="CLEAN_INSTALL" />
    </Configuration>

Launching from PowerShell:

Install-SharePoint -SetupExePath "c:\SharePointFoundationFiles\setup.exe" 
    -ConfigXmlPath "c:\SharePointFoundationFiles\Files\Setup\config.xml"

Installer fails:

Impossible to validate variable because the value
    (C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\config_2010_mag_20_11_59_46.xml) 
    is not valid for the variable ConfigXmlPath.
    In C:\SPModule\SPModule.setup\Install-SharePoint.ps1:412 car:19
    + $ConfigXmlPath <<<< = Join-Path $env:temp ConfigXmlName 
    + CategoryInfo: MetadataError: (:) [], 
    ParentContainsErrorRecordException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ValidateSetFailure

Do I have to uninstall SharePoint Server to have SharePoint Foundation features??

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Hi Cristian,

Sorry to say that I am getting confused with this thread. 

You had started it with problem while creating New Document. Your subject line has SharePoint Foundation 2010, but your 1st post had SharePoint Server 2010 Beta.  The latest post now talks about installation using PowerShell.

Can you please clarify the exact problem and the environment details. This will help other Forum Users to respond better.

Thanks & Regards,
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Sure! Sorry for confusing. Let me explain:

1. Succesfully installed SharePoint Server 2010 beta;
    2. Created some libraries;
    3. Tried to use 'New Document function (see image here );
    4. Server posts this message and function fails: (see image here );
    5. So, to enable this functionality, I tried to update environment with SharePoint Foundation, but without success for now; above I've reported error details (retrieved installing Foundation via PowerShell)
    • Testing envirnonment: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Thanks for interesting..
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Got your problem now.  SharePoint Server(SPS) 2010 is having more features than SharePoint Foundation(SPF) 2010.  Then why are you trying to update SPS with SPF in Step# 5. Actually, this way you are trying to downgrade your Product Features.  Moreover, if you are trying this step on the same server, then I am afraid that it may lead into more problems.

My advice would be to keep SPS running and do not try to run SPF setup on the same server.  Lets wait for others to help you.

I noticed that you are using Office 2007.  Is it possible for you to test the "New Document" function from another Computer which is having Office 2010 installed?

Thanks & Regards,
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:45 PM

Requires a 64-bit ActiveX control. Microsoft Office 2010 does not provide a 64-bit version of this control. Although the New Document command may not work, you can use the Upload Document functionality. If you install and configure Office Web Applications on the server, the New Document command works, and you can create an Office document in your browser.

Please go through this article in detail to understand the "New Document" limitation against each Browser Version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    • Marked as answer by Cristian.Dev Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:30 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Thanks KSDN.

I've installed Office on the server and from the server this works. I also tried to use it from a couple of clients with different browsers. Only IE 64bit got some limitations; each others (IE 32bit and Firefox) works fine.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:47 PM

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

So get this...I have run into this issue on individual users in the past, and I've just re-registered the owssupp.dll and all was good in the world.  NOW...I have users that are encountering this (basically this is system-wide, I'm discovering), and some of my users have access to other SP farms and are not getting this error.  They are using the same workstation to access both SP instances.  Mine...error.  The other...no error.  Typically something global like this indicates a server issue.  Any ideas what's going on?  I've checked docicon.xml, completely reinstalled Office 2007, pretty much exhausted all troubleshooting measures I can think of.  HELP!
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:41 PM