none
Security Error

Question

• I don't know what I did but when I click on the Job Definitions link in Central Admin I get a Security Error.

I ran the Configuration Wizard and get this.

02/15/2012 11:20:29  6  ERR                Failed to register SharePoint services.
    An exception of type System.Security.SecurityException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Security error.
    System.Security.SecurityException: Security error.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAutoSerializingObject.GetInstanceFromType(Type type)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.GetInstance(XmlNode xml, Guid classId)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.GetObject(Guid id, Guid parentId, Guid type, String name, SPObjectStatus status, Byte[] versionBuffer, String xml)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.GetObject(SqlDataReader dr)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.RefreshCache(Int64 currentVersionOverride, List`1& newObjects, List`1& deletedObjects, Int64& newestObjectVersion)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.RefreshCache()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.PutObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServiceInstance.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstanceInConfigDB(Boolean provisionTheServiceInstanceToo, String serviceInstanceRegistryKeyName, Object sharepointServiceObject)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstances(Boolean provisionTheServiceInstancesToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName, Object sharepointServiceObject)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
    MyComputer

I look in the Log file and see this

Exception in RefreshCache. Exception message :Security error. 
    02/15/2012 11:09:18.40  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0360)                    0x0570 Windows SharePoint Services    Timer                          5utx Unexpected The timer service could not initialize its configuration, please check the configuration database.  Will retry later. 

Please help

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi kjmcsd

Please try the following steps:

• Stop the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service on ALL servers in the farm.
    • On the server configured for Indexing, browse to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config.
    • Open the Registry editor and navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Secure\ConfigDB.
    • Take a note of the Guid value for the Id item.
    • In my case this folder was empty, so I needed to re-create the cache folder giving it the title matching the Guid value retrieved from the Registry.
    • If the folder already exists, all you need to do is delete all xml files, leaving one file called cache.ini which requires its content to be edited and set to the value 1
    • You can now re-start the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service on the current server.  You should see xml files appear in the folder shortly after the service starts.
    • Repeat all the steps above for all other servers in your farm, starting with any other index servers before moving onto the remaining WFE and application servers.

One last thing you may need to do is re-start the Windows SharePoint Services Tracing service on all servers in the farm.  If you don’t do this you will more than likely start seeing Tracing Service Lost Trace Events errors in the log files.

Thanks,

Lhan Han

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:17 AM