none
unable to open excel files from sharepoint 2007 in office 2010

Question

• Hi,

We are having Share point 2007.

One of the sharepoint document libraries ,I had uploaded foe excel files.

From the sharepoint site, the excel files opens only in Office 2003 and office 2007 installed machines.

In office 2010 installed machines, the excel file doesn't open from Share point. It just opens a blank excel sheet.

Please help.....

Aby

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post in this forum.

For the issue that you have encountered, you may do as followed: Check "12\TEMPLATE\XML\docicon.xml" files - it should contain mapping for "xlsx" file extension. Also check that Office 2010 was installed successfully (i.e. check that you are able to open xlsx file from hard drive, not from SharePoint document library).

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Monday, December 27, 2010 11:51 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post in this forum.

For the issue that you have encountered, you may do as followed: Check "12\TEMPLATE\XML\docicon.xml" files - it should contain mapping for "xlsx" file extension. Also check that Office 2010 was installed successfully (i.e. check that you are able to open xlsx file from hard drive, not from SharePoint document library).

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Monday, December 27, 2010 11:51 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply.

If we download the excel files to the hard drive, it opens.

xlsx mapping it there in the cocicon.xml files. ,so form the sharepoint library, it opens the excel.

The problem is it opens excel application, but not the excel file.

Regards,

Aby

Sunday, December 19, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Aby,

this 

for xlsx files to open in client you Must assign the users read access on the site level. even they have Full access on document library but they will be unable to open the file in Client Applicaiton unless granted read access on site level. This is very strange but it works.

Regards,

Tahir

• Proposed as answer by Masood Tahir Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:32 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:32 AM