none
WFE and Application Server in sharepoint

Question

• Hello,

Want to know the differences between WFE and Application server?

According to my knowledge,WFE for handling user requests?(ok..fine,where can I find WFE or more than 1 WFE?)

and Application Server for Excel Services,Search,index server etc

But the url or the link or any diagram so I can easily guess what is wfe and why some times we can use more WFEs and what is an application sever and why we can use more than 1 Applicaion server?

1)I know a web application like http://server:5000/sites/MySiteName .Can we called it as an application server? Like any url for WFE?

2)Is there any command or program code to know how many servers (Front-end Servers,Application Servers,Database Servers,Index Servers) etc in a FARM

Please clarify all the above without missing any

Thanks in Advance

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

A WFE handles web requests from users and hosts all sharepoint files on disk.

You can have more than one WFE for load balancing(just install a secondary WFE in the Farm)

Application Server hosts all the SSP(Shared Services Provider) services such as: Excel, Search, etc and you can have one or more Application servers in the farm for scalability and balancing.

You could split Excel and Search on two different servers(application) in the farm.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum Blog: SharePoint By Bugday

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response.My question is different.I know the differences between these two.

I just want to know how to find out how many WFEs and Application Servers in my FARM?

What is the location of WFEs and Application Servers?

Please reply me for the above questions only?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Go into Central Administration and click on Operations and then Servers in Farm.  This will show you a  list off all servers in your farm and what is running on each.
    SharePoint Administrator and MCTS | SharePoint Fan www.davepyett.wordpress.com - Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/dpyett
    • Marked as answer by spguy2012 Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Follow Dave's suggestion, and check the IP adress of each server hosting the different roles.

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Thanks once again Daniel and Dave for the quick response.

Until I know everything clearly , I cant be feel more happy.

I am providing a link while I found it in googling.

Servers in Farm

can you plz tell me there what is a WFE server, Application server and other servers (if any)

Never Mind and Thanks again

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:53 PM
  • In the link you provides, both server sharepoint2007 and SSR2007PIP are Web Front Ends as they run the web application service.

Check this link from technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee805948.aspx

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

• Marked as answer by spguy2012 Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Thanks Daniel for your valuable answer
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:26 AM