none
Calculating a percentage of fields but not deducting if a field is empty?

Question

• Hi,

I have 10 fields, lets say field1, field2..... field10, each containing a drop down value of 1-10, with an optional blank choice if the particular item is not applicable. In addition, not all fields might be used, the user might only fill out fields 1-5.

What I ultimatly want to achieve, is to calculate a percentage of the fields which have been filled in, So if only 5 fields are filled in, the maximum possibly score would be 50 (which would be 100%), if the total score is 25, then the user has scored 50%.

Thats my simple explanation, now thinking about it, could it be done with IF statements;

"(field1 + field2 + field3 ...+field10) div (100 "then some if statments - if field1 = blank -10, if field2 = blank - 10..... if field10 = blank - 10).

Does that make sense?

Any input is hugely appreciated, in simple terms would really be greatful as ive not long been using the software.

Adam

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi

first don't use blank value for not filled fields. Use 0 value by default ( for not filled fields )

And your formula should use a summ of  this

ROUND (FIELDSx/10,0)

So if  fields x is 0, the result will be zero, if fields is > 0, the result will be 1, for each column

The formula of determining the percent of how many fields has been filled will be

(ROUND((field1)/10,0)+...+ROUND((field10)/10,0))*10

The result is already as percent

Romeo Donca

oops,  not me , the reply's author should propose  it  as answer. So let undo!:).
    Waiting for post author to mark my answer as he consider
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:19 PM