none
SharePoint Choice Column Functionality

Question

• What can you do with a Choice (multi-select) Column once you have it set up.

I have a list

Column A = Report Name

Column B = Group Name (Choice multi-Select) More than one Group can use a report

Column C = Yes or No (Does the Group use the report or not)

I would like to generate a view that is grouped by Column B (Group Name) but that column is not visable when I want to reference it in either a calculated column or a lookup column.

Is there any way to select on a Choice multi-select column, if not what is the point?

Thanks

Jack

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

For this issue, you cannot achieve this through user interface, we suggest you to custom Data View through SharePoint Designer. Below is the steps I have tested in my local server.

1. Create a list listA, add three columns, columnA, columnB(Multi-Select) and columnC(yes or no).
    2. In SharePoint Designer 2007, open the site which has the listA, create a new aspx page and then insert a Data View on it, locate the Data Source Library (listA), drag the Title, columnA, columnB and columnC to be displayed on it.
    3. Click on Data View Properties, in the Editing tab window check the two options, show edit item links and show insert item links(you can edit and insert item through data view).
    4. (configure sort and group)Right-click the Data View, and then click sort and group , in the variable fields, click Add Sort Expression, select columnB. Under Group Properties, select the Show group header and select Expand group by default. Then click Advanced Grouping, select the Show column names per group .

Please check it, if there is any problem, please feel free to let me know.

More information: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/sort-and-group-data-in-a-data-view-HA010103042.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010094804

Best Regards.

Qiao Wei

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:44 AM

All replies