none
Master Page on SubSite

Question

• Hello,

I have a parent site with a customized master page that I want to apply to subsites.  I have seen a number of references to needing to go look and feel an dmaster pages in order to apply a parent masterpage to a subsite but I don't have that option.  Also, i have seen reference to needing to publish a masterpage but the publish button is grayed out too.  I am just not certain of the proper method of applying a masterpage to a subsite in SharePoint 2010?   Any assistance in making this work would be appreciated.  

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:02 PM

Answers

• To answer your question about the inheritance, it depends on the order in which you've made your changes. Lets say you've 1st create your branding at the top (level 1) and all child sites at levels 2 & 3 inherit this. If you then change the master page at level 2, you are essentially doing what is referred to as breaking the inheritance. The level 3 sites will not pick this up automatically because they are still inheriting the initial directive. If you want the level 3 child sites to pick up the level 2 master page setting either:

1. Browse to the master page settings at level 2, check off the box that says "Reset all subsites to inherit this site master page setting", and click OK.
    2. On each level 3 child site, simple got into the master page setting and (if inherit from the parent is still selected) click OK. This repoints their master page to the level 2 master page setting in the database.

Personally the 1st option is the quickest way of doing this.

As for creating your master page somewhere else, that can't be done. All master pages are stored in the master page gallery at the root of the site collection. No other master page galleries exist anywhere else in your site collection. If you have multiple site collections and some are under parent site collections then you will have other issues around branding since master page galleries will not be shared and are secured entirely seperate from each other.

Chris Arella - Sr. Solutions Architect
    SharePoint User Experience, Branding and Design
    http://www.chrisarella.com
    • Marked as answer by olson2334 Tuesday, June 07, 2011 1:51 PM
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• To enable server publishing, you need to firstly go to the top level of your site collection.  Then in site actions you should be able to go to Site Collection Administration, where you can activate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure.  Once this is active you should be able to access the SharePoint Server Publishing option from the Manage Site Features menu option in site actions.  

Also note that you need to be the Site Collection Administrator, not just Site Owner, to access the Site Collection Administration option.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I agree with Michael that if you can't see the look and feel options in the sub site settings, then you need first to:

1. Activate the  SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure on the Site collection level.

2. Activate the publishing feature on the sub site level "from Site Features in Site settings".

After that you will be able to go to Sub Site "site settings" and choose "Master Page" option then choose "inherit" for the sake of applying the same master page of the parent site.

Another option that could be done but I do recommend that you try the above one first; is to:

Modify the default Master page of Sharepoint, and remember that this action will affect all Sites that are not publishing sites like "My Site, Team Site, Workspaces...etc"

Master page default location:

Master Page: Default.aspx
    In a SharePoint Web Front-End Server : Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\GLOBAL

And you can put your custom used CSS Files in :

For Example: Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\STYLES

Good Luck

Best Regards, Samer Qarajai - SharePoint Business Consultant
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Unless your sub sites are publishing sites, they might not pick up your top level master page by default.

For instance, if your dealing with a Publishing Portal as your Site Collection Template, your top-level site is publishing, you apply a custom master page to your top level site, and create a team site underneath it, that team site does not always pick up the branding (a bug IMHO).

If you just want to apply the master page to a single subsite, you can set the master page settings on the subsite to inherit the master page (I wish it did that by default always).

If you have many subsites, it is easier to browse to the top-level site master page settings [/_Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx], and check the box that says "Reset all subsites to inherit this site master page setting", then click OK. This will force all subsites to reinherit the master page setting from the parent.

And BTW, Default.aspx is not a master page and that is not how you customize it. And custom styles are either stored in the Style Library or in "\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033\Styles\..." traditionally. I personally avoid using the style library unless the server is locked down. Also, it isn't required but it is good practice to create your own sub-folder for storing custom files.

My $0.02

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Thanks everyone for there responses.  

Let me give a little more information. I am trying to get familiar with sharepoint and making some changes such as the masterpage look and feel to a small degree.  I have a root site that is out of the box at this point with the above publishing stuff now turned on, i have a subsite of the root that i changed the masterpage on to simply put an image at the top and change the breadcrumbs up a bit.  I then have a 8 sites under this site and only want to change a single subsite at this point to inherit the parents master page.  

Now that I am able to see the master page under look and feel I initially went in and chose to inherit from the parent but it looked like it is using the grandparents(parents parent page if that makes sense)?  Any ideas why?   Also, lets say i have a masterpage i created some place else entirely, not even on the same branch of our tree but i want to use that look, how could i use that if i wanted?

What does the sharepoint publishing featured do that I turned on?

Thursday, June 02, 2011 12:42 PM
  • To answer your question about the inheritance, it depends on the order in which you've made your changes. Lets say you've 1st create your branding at the top (level 1) and all child sites at levels 2 & 3 inherit this. If you then change the master page at level 2, you are essentially doing what is referred to as breaking the inheritance. The level 3 sites will not pick this up automatically because they are still inheriting the initial directive. If you want the level 3 child sites to pick up the level 2 master page setting either:

1. Browse to the master page settings at level 2, check off the box that says "Reset all subsites to inherit this site master page setting", and click OK.
    2. On each level 3 child site, simple got into the master page setting and (if inherit from the parent is still selected) click OK. This repoints their master page to the level 2 master page setting in the database.

Personally the 1st option is the quickest way of doing this.

As for creating your master page somewhere else, that can't be done. All master pages are stored in the master page gallery at the root of the site collection. No other master page galleries exist anywhere else in your site collection. If you have multiple site collections and some are under parent site collections then you will have other issues around branding since master page galleries will not be shared and are secured entirely seperate from each other.

• Marked as answer by olson2334 Tuesday, June 07, 2011 1:51 PM
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Just following up to see if you got this resolved.

Don't forget to "Vote as Helpful" and mark a post as answered. It helps others in the community quickly find the answers they need too. Thanks. ;^)

Friday, June 03, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

In Fact, I agree with Chris, and regarding your question about what is the impact of activating Publishing features for a non publishing site  "like team site", is:

1. A New Documnet library wiill be created automatically, and it's called "Pages", and this document library will host all web pages that are created by Site contributers.

2. a built in simple publishing workflow will be active, and that workflow will allow to control the publishing process of the newly created web pages within that site.

3. in the Site settings, for example, you will notice that there is a new setting callled "Welcome page" which allow you to specify the landing page of your site.

for more info about this point you can review the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/sharepointadmin/thread/e5ddd1cc-727b-4835-82f2-b3cc6fb7bfaf

Good luck

Best Regards, Samer Qarajai - SharePoint Business Consultant
    Friday, June 03, 2011 1:12 PM
  • getting this master page to take has been a battle.  

Here is where I am at.  Publishing is activated on level 2 and 3 currently.  custom master page is in place on level 2 and I want a single site currently to inherit level 2's master page.  Eventually all subsites under level 2 will get this once I am given the go ahead.  

The master page i have changed is on level 2.  Inheritance is setup on 3.  I have hesitated to do a reset of all subsites to inherit this sites master page setting just because there are some pages they currently do not want to have this master page that are subsites under level 2.  

Maybe i need to completely copy this master page, make changes to it and save it or something and then point level 2 at this page and see what happens?  what is the proper method of making a copy then and publishing to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Thanks again for the assistance. 

Friday, June 03, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Here is where I am at.  Publishing is activated on level 2 and 3 currently.  custom master page is in place on level 2 and I want a single site currently to inherit level 2's master page.  Eventually all subsites under level 2 will get this once I am given the go ahead.  

The master page i have changed is on level 2.  Inheritance is setup on 3.  I have hesitated to do a reset of all subsites to inherit this sites master page setting just because there are some pages they currently do not want to have this master page that are subsites under level 2.  

So for now, browse to your level 3 site and reset the inheritance.

Maybe i need to completely copy this master page, make changes to it and save it or something and then point level 2 at this page and see what happens?  what is the proper method of making a copy then and publishing to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Thanks again for the assistance. 

You can do that. Easiest way would be to download it from the UI, rename it, and re-upload it.

Friday, June 03, 2011 6:46 PM