none
Office Frontpage 2003 cannot edit WSS2 default.aspx

Question

• Windows Sharepoint Services 2 SP2 6.0.2.8131

A user reported an error where they cannot edit their default.aspx home. After investigating I found the following:

When trying to open the default.aspx with Microsoft Office Frontpage 2003 (11.5516.6360), I am presented with this message:

Microsoft Office Frontpage
    The server could not complete your request. Contact your Internet service provider or Web werver administrator to make sure that the server has the Frontpage Server Extensions ot Sharepoint Services installed.

For more information. click the Details button.

The details button had the following text:
    Try the following:  Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet congestion. Check spelling: Check that you typed the Web page address correctly. The address may have been mistyped. Access from a link: If there is a link to the page you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.
    Technical Information (for support personnel)  Error Code: 408.
    The operation timed out. The remote server did not respond within the set time allowed. The server might be unavailable at this time. Try again later or contact the server administrator. (12002)

Browsing the site opens the default.aspx without an problem. Normal operation within the site is also possible. When I click on "Modify Shared page", I can successfully open the design layout and remove and add webparts (I have removed all webparts, after original backup, in an attempt to remedy the problem, still no luck).

Now, editing this same page (https://****.**.com/chp/env/default.aspx) with Microsoft Frontpage 2002 (10.4128.4219) SP-2, opens it, but without a bunch of the webparts that you can see when viewing the page in IE. This makes me think that it is webpart related. Not being able to edit the page makes it difficult to establish what the underlying problem is.

Please help/assist in establishing what the cause of this is asa the issue has now surfaced in a couple of other places as well.

Thanks.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:45 PM