none
Moving existing documents from one site to other site within a site collection

Question

•  

Hi All,

I have some thousands of documents to be moved from my subsites to my parent site of a site collection. Is it possible to do that.If so, can any one tell me the easy way to achive it?

Thanks all.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:26 AM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Go to you subsite document library and actions -> open with windows explorer copy you documents

Open your parent site document library in another IE window, and actions -> open with windows explorer and past your documents.

Do this process gradually with a small amount of documents, so you can't enormously decrease you bandwidth

Regards,

Noureïev

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Go to you subsite document library and actions -> open with windows explorer copy you documents

Open your parent site document library in another IE window, and actions -> open with windows explorer and past your documents.

Do this process gradually with a small amount of documents, so you can't enormously decrease you bandwidth

Regards,

Noureïev

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:48 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Noureïev .

Is there any problem in the versions of the documents if we move them like this?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Hello,

I Think that document library and versionning is specific to each site,

So if you move your documents with the solution described bellow, the version will start at 1.0

Regards,

Noureddine

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

I have moved the documents from one library to other as you told.But when i see the documents in my destination lib it is not showing the values of the custom columns which i have.

FYI: Both the libraries are having the same column names derived from the site solumns of the site collection.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:53 AM
  • Do you use WSS or MOSS?
    If you use MOSS then this article will be usefull
    http://blog.henryong.com/2008/01/21/how-to-movemigrate-sharepoint-list-itemsdocuments-and-preserve-metadata-properties-at-the-same-time/

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:32 PM
  • If the above option doesn't work for you then you may also want to try the stsadm commands listed here: http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2007/08/stsadm-commands_09.html (there are several options: exportlist/importlist, exportlistitem/importlistitem, exportlistitem2/addlistitem).
    Friday, February 01, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Hi,

I have used the following URL ,

http://blog.henryong.com/2008/01/21/how-to-movemigrate-sharepoint-list-itemsdocuments-and-preserve-metadata-properties-at-the-same-time/

But, I am able to move only the docs from the library. But i want to move the contents of the library with folders, sub folders and documents present in them.

Can any one tell me how to move the contents of the docuemnt library along with folders also??

Thanks..

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:54 AM