none
Server Error in '/' Application in Sharepoint 2010

Question

• Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum, and starting right on with a tricky one.

Hope you can help me.

Server Error in '/' Application

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties() +134
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext) +329
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalAvailable() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.EnsureMySiteUrls() +60
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalMySiteUrlAvailable() +15
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5448; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5420

I don't know where to start to resolving this error. The SQL server is installed on the same server. (SQL Server 2008 Enterprise)

If you need more info, please let me know!

• Edited by Johan11 Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Johan,

Can you put more information like what action cause this exception? Is this issue with SharePoint default pages or your customization?

Regards,
    Rajan
    My Blog: http://rajangarg.wordpress.com/

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi Rajan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The sites worked just fine, but one day this error appeard.

The error appears when I browse to the default site, the Central Administration works fine.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Can you change the following in the web.config and check for the actual error.

1. change callstack to true

2. and change custom error to Off or Remote only

And can you let us know what exactly is giving this error.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Cheers!!!
    Regards,
    Rajan
    My Blog: http://rajangarg.wordpress.com/

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:11 AM
  • I all ready had changed this options in the web.config file.

Is there an other location where I can get the error?

Thanx for your reply.

Regards Johan.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:20 AM
  • please check the windows event logger and sharepoint logs and try to find out the issue.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Is this helpful?

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 30-11-2011 10:31:20
    Event time (UTC): 30-11-2011 9:31:20
    Event ID: 94bc70168cf34a6397b9080c47dc4b8d
    Event sequence: 2871
    Event occurrence: 901
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/398352107/ROOT-1-129670930922205523
        Trust level: WSS_Minimal
        Application Virtual Path: /
        Application Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\
        Machine name: Server

Process information:
        Process ID: 3184
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: Domain\User

Exception information:
        Exception type: NullReferenceException
        Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Request information:
        Request URL: http://server/sites/LinQ/VA Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx
        Request path: /sites/LinQ/VA Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx
        User host address: 192.168.0.93
        User: Domain\User
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: NTLM
        Thread account name: Domain\User

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 43
        Thread account name: Domain\User
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalAvailable()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.EnsureMySiteUrls()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalMySiteUrlAvailable()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Regards Johan.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:33 AM
  • No, Can you check for errors in the sharepoint logs in 14 hive and do you have custom webparts in the page ?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:42 AM
  • I found this in 1 of the logs.

11/30/2011 10:50:45.65     w3wp.exe (0x0C70)                           0x187C    SharePoint Foundation             Runtime                           tkau    Unexpected    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalAvailable()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.EnsureMySiteUrls()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalMySiteUrlAvailable()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecu...    660ecd41-9e48-43de-83e0-c143704e823c

Regards Johan.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:03 AM
  • It seems from the stack trace that something is wrong with the User Profile Service Application can you check the same from Central Admin > Manage Service Application.
    Priyanka
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:11 AM
  • can you try and use some other user credential ?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:42 AM
  • The User Profile Service is stopped and when I try to start it, I get also the "Server Error in '/' Application" error.

I deleted the old User Profile Service and created a new one, same problem.

Other credentials makes no difference.

Regards Johan.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Thanks for the effort, but unfortunately this changed nothing.

Regards Johan.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Try the following:

1. check, if the following updates are installed, and remove them: KB2532531, KB2555917, KB2533623KB890830

2. delete and create new User Profile Service application

Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower - Steve Jobs
    • Proposed as answer by Ilya Ershov Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Johan11 Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:16 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Still nothing...

Regards Johan.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Still nothing...

Regards Johan.

Hi Johan, i have this problem.  You could fix this, thank
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Did you fix this?  I am having the same problem.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 12:25 AM
  • No, still no solution, I reinstalled the farm.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 6:23 AM
  • I fixed mine by changing the managed account for the Profile service. He was getting an access denied. Hope this helps!
    Friday, June 01, 2012 2:32 PM
  • This can happen if the "superuser" and "superreader" accounts are not configured/not configured correctly. Users were getting a“Server Error in '/' Application” when clicking on profile pages in our MySite application and the culprit was the superuser and superreader accounts. Check out this link for the fix (my answer):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sharepoint2010setup/thread/ff815e0d-e6ab-4b1b-a794-8ab2e6b830a7

Also, if they've never been configured, see how on Technet, here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff758656.aspx

You would need to configure these accounts for your main SharePoint web application, and for your MySites.

Friday, June 01, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Johan - We had a similar problem when we recreated the user profile service. 

This fixed it for us:

Central Admin > Choose Web app > select Service Connections > Choose Custom Connection > Select the services including User Profile Service Application Proxy.

We looked at the Service Connection and saw the new User Profile Service listed there under the 'default' configuration, and thought the connection was automatically updated by SharePoint. Turns out we had to choose the "custom" option, and check all the services again including the User Profile Service to get it to work again. 

Posted here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/f90cc253-0648-41d8-81b0-d1c6869d8862

Friday, June 01, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Restart Sharepoint 2010 timer job and check

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum, and starting right on with a tricky one.

Hope you can help me.

Server Error in '/' Application

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties() +134
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PartitionIDs() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext) +329
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalAvailable() +44
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.EnsureMySiteUrls() +60
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.get_PortalMySiteUrlAvailable() +15
       Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MyLinksRibbon.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5448; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5420

I don't know where to start to resolving this error. The SQL server is installed on the same server. (SQL Server 2008 Enterprise)

If you need more info, please let me know!

Hello,

I had the same issue. My configuration was: SP2010+SP1 - 2 servers in a farm.

I tried to manage UPS service application but got an error.

What helped me: I started UPS service instances on both servers.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Dmytri

Monday, September 03, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi Dmytri.

I've allready reinstalled my server, but the above can be resolved by install a new User Profile Service Application on the SharePoint server.

hope it helps.

Regards Johan.

• Edited by Johan11 Monday, September 03, 2012 9:34 AM
    Monday, September 03, 2012 9:34 AM