none
Can any one suggest lists of Issues b/w IE 10 and SharePoint 2010?

Question

• Hello,

Can any one suggest lists of  Issues b/w IE 10 and SharePoint 2010?I want to verify which sharepoint 2010 function doesn't work on IE10.

Rajesh Kumar "Changing the Face" can change nothing.But "Facing the Change" can change everything.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:59 AM

Answers

• The problem stems from the way that Internet Explorer 10 handles websites in compatibility mode. Internet Explorer 8 and 9 respected a meta property embedded in the head of the website. Microsoft products like CRM and SharePoint utilized this property to automatically force the page into compatibility mode without any involvement from the user.

Internet Explorer 10, however, seems to disable compatibility mode by default… a big step forward in terms of Microsoft’s commitment to web standards but a a step backwards when it comes to… well… compatibilitInternet Explorer 10, however, seems to disable compatibility mode by default… a big step forward in terms of Microsoft’s commitment to web standards but a a step backwards when it comes to… well… compatibility.

As seen in the screenshot above Internet Explorer 10 is correctly identifying the Document Mode as “IE8 standards” however the Browser Mode is reading as IE10 which causes a number of issues. Everything from straight crashes in Dynamics CRM 2011 and the dreaded “An Unknown Error has occurred.” in SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint Online. This is because that IE10 defaults to only display intranet sites in Compatibility View.

So far I’ve found that this is a problem on the following Microsoft sites / products. My most recent issue was an error with SharePoint Online when trying to use target audiences. This is not an extensive list… just my short list.

• SharePoint 2010
    • SharePoint Online
    • CRM Dyanmics 2011
    • CRM Dynamics 2011 Online

Thanks,

Machindra Salunkhe

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:08 PM

All replies

• You have to consider the fact that when SharePoint 2010 was designed, it was designed with the current browser version in mind.  At the time, that was IE7.  Since then IE has undergone several upgrades, most notably a move towards standardised CSS support and HTML5.  That said, IE always has the Compatibility View which should allow SharePoint 2010 sites to render correctly in the newer versions of the browser.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-8

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://blog.cjvandyk.com | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | Quix Utilities for SharePoint | SharePoint Admin Nav Console (SPANC)

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your earlier response,but i have to verify which sharepoint 2010 function doesn't work on IE10?

Rajesh Kumar "Changing the Face" can change nothing.But "Facing the Change" can change everything.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:52 PM
  • The problem stems from the way that Internet Explorer 10 handles websites in compatibility mode. Internet Explorer 8 and 9 respected a meta property embedded in the head of the website. Microsoft products like CRM and SharePoint utilized this property to automatically force the page into compatibility mode without any involvement from the user.

Internet Explorer 10, however, seems to disable compatibility mode by default… a big step forward in terms of Microsoft’s commitment to web standards but a a step backwards when it comes to… well… compatibilitInternet Explorer 10, however, seems to disable compatibility mode by default… a big step forward in terms of Microsoft’s commitment to web standards but a a step backwards when it comes to… well… compatibility.

As seen in the screenshot above Internet Explorer 10 is correctly identifying the Document Mode as “IE8 standards” however the Browser Mode is reading as IE10 which causes a number of issues. Everything from straight crashes in Dynamics CRM 2011 and the dreaded “An Unknown Error has occurred.” in SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint Online. This is because that IE10 defaults to only display intranet sites in Compatibility View.

So far I’ve found that this is a problem on the following Microsoft sites / products. My most recent issue was an error with SharePoint Online when trying to use target audiences. This is not an extensive list… just my short list.

• SharePoint 2010
    • SharePoint Online
    • CRM Dyanmics 2011
    • CRM Dynamics 2011 Online

Thanks,

Machindra Salunkhe

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:08 PM