none
What does "Leaving Monitored Scope" mean in the log file?

Question

• Hi All,

I'm new to SharePoint administration, and was looking through my log files today.  I see a lot of medium errors that refer to "Leaving Monitored Scope".  I'm not looking for a solution, but can someone please explain to me what this means? 

Thanks,

Brandon

Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:50 PM

Answers

• SharePoint 2010 is equipped with a set of new tools to improve the monitoring of your custom applications, there are built-in functionality to check how long your operations take. All this is logged and can be visualized in the Developer Dashboard.

Everything is executed under a Monitored Scope. Each scope has a set of Monitors that measures and counts calls and timings. If you notice the log files it says when it is entering the specific monitored scope and when it leaves it, it keeps track of the time taken etc.

You can create your own custom monitors for your web parts for developer dashboards.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here is an example that I found on Monitoring your custom code -

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Improve-your-SharePoint-2010-applications-with-monitoring-using-SPMonitoredScope.aspx

Ameet Phadnis (e Tek Global Inc.)
    • Edited by APhadnis Friday, January 07, 2011 1:00 PM Found link
    • Marked as answer by Brandon Copeland Friday, January 07, 2011 1:13 PM
    Friday, January 07, 2011 12:59 AM

All replies

• SharePoint 2010 is equipped with a set of new tools to improve the monitoring of your custom applications, there are built-in functionality to check how long your operations take. All this is logged and can be visualized in the Developer Dashboard.

Everything is executed under a Monitored Scope. Each scope has a set of Monitors that measures and counts calls and timings. If you notice the log files it says when it is entering the specific monitored scope and when it leaves it, it keeps track of the time taken etc.

You can create your own custom monitors for your web parts for developer dashboards.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here is an example that I found on Monitoring your custom code -

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Improve-your-SharePoint-2010-applications-with-monitoring-using-SPMonitoredScope.aspx

• Edited by APhadnis Friday, January 07, 2011 1:00 PM Found link
    • Marked as answer by Brandon Copeland Friday, January 07, 2011 1:13 PM
    Friday, January 07, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Thanks Ameet.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 1:14 PM
  • You are welcome. Good day.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 1:16 PM
  • One last follow up question.  Are these monitoring logs errors that are happening with my farm, or are they just providing me information?  Nothing seems to be wrong with my farm that's causing these logs, and they are lableled as medium.

Thanks,

Brandon

Friday, January 07, 2011 1:44 PM
  • No those are not errors. It is just like logging whats going on the server. So, if you have certain task to be performed and if you need to know how much time it took then you can look at the Monitored scope for the task.

Friday, January 07, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Thanks again Ameet!
    Friday, January 07, 2011 4:03 PM