none
Not able to connect to SharePoint server through IP address

Question

• Hi All,

I have an application that stores some of its data in MOSS. I have registered the MOSS by its domain name in the application. However i write the machine URL in the config file.

Now, if i am accessing MOSS through domain name in my application, it works fine. But when I access through IP address it fails.

Please let me know the funda behind. I always believed that IP is superior to domain name.

Thanks,

Neeraj

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:22 AM

All replies

• When you create a MOSS 2007 application it runs on a virtual host... So if you just type in the server IP, the server doesn't know which application you are looking for and returns nothing to you...
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Kasper.

I still need to clarify here that I am not only giving the IP address but the portnumber and the rest of the URL also.

It looks something like the following:

http://machine01:9999/sites/ContentStore/  (with the domain name)

http://172.23.245.494:9999/sites/ContentStore/   (with IP address)

If I have made myself clear, please reply if the solution you have shared here holds true?

Thanks,

Neeraj

Friday, July 06, 2007 3:57 AM
  • This is probably not helpful, but can you at least access your site through IP address using a web browser ? and make a Network Connection ?
    Friday, July 06, 2007 4:18 AM
  • Of course I did that as Lchungue told, I was able to access the resource through both the ways in the browser. But not through application.

That is why I wonder why it doesn't take IP address.

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:38 AM
  • Just a suggestion, but have you tried going to IIS and updated the site's IP address assignment to be explicit instead of the default <Any Available>?
    Friday, July 06, 2007 10:40 AM
  • Dear Curtis,

I even saw all the settings including what you mentioned here. Still the problem remains.

Thanks for suggestion anyways.

Neeraj.

Monday, July 09, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Seems like it is a connection issue between the application and the server.  I would turn on logging in the Web Site, and view the W3SVCxxxxx log (C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles).  See if you are being logged when you connect via your application with the DNS entry, and also with the IP entry.  If you aren't then you need to find out why not.  Does the application not like to use IP address / port #'s, etc.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 4:45 AM