none
MOSS / PPS Server configuration

Question

• Hi guys
    I have in the past used 2 tier architecture (DB server and Web server) - SQL on DB server and MOSS together with Performance Point Server Monitoring on the Web Server.

I am involved now in a POC with has 3 virtual servers. One will be the database server.
    What will be the best way to utilize MOSS and Performance Point on the remaining two servers? IE do I use the two servers ("application server" and "web server") to form a MOSS server farm? And on which server will be best to install PPS (only using the dashboard designer and analytics) so I do not think from PPS side there will be much additional load. Or is it MOSS on web server and PPS on application server?

Kind Regards
    Henry

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:19 PM

Answers

• You could go eiter way really.  It will depend largly on what the ultimate goal is.  You could set up MOSS and PPS on the same machine and use the second one as a Search Index Server if you have tons of docs to search.  If search is not a factor, then maybe you seperate the two and keep all of the MOSS functions running on the single server.  NLB doesn't sound like it is a concern but if it was then you would possible install MOSS as a WFE on the second server.

There are tons of factors that need to be considered before you will find the best solution.
    Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:01 AM