none
Where is coreV4.css located in SPD???

Question

• Hey guys,

Although I've managed to open coreV4.css in SPD I am trying to find where exactly this file is located (if you go through SPD)?

The reason I am asking: I am going to create custom.css and I want to place it in the same place where coreV4.css is.

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks a lot for Heather’s suggestion.

Please also see the following topic of SharePoint 2010 CSS references in Master Pages:

SharePoint 2010 CSS references in Master Pages: [http://erikswenson.blogspot.com/2010/01/sharepoint-2010-css-references-in.html]

For custom feature, it is for deploy custom *.css file in SharePoint site.

Hope this can help.       

Best Regards,

Aaron

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Monday, October 11, 2010 10:01 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:28 AM

All replies

• If you just add your style sheet to the Styles Libary - use a CSS registration - with the after tag - your css will be called after the CoreV4.css file.

<SharePoint:CssRegistration name="<% $SPUrl:~sitecollection/Style Library/custom/styles.css %>" runat="server" After="corev4.css"/>

Other than that you need to create a feature etc to place the CSS in the correct folder on the server.

Let me know if that helps.

Heather Waterman SharePoint Desginer www.heatherwaterman.com
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Heather, thank you so much for your response.

When you said you need to "create a feature". What is it done for? and how is it done?

Friday, September 24, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for Heather’s suggestion.

Please also see the following topic of SharePoint 2010 CSS references in Master Pages:

SharePoint 2010 CSS references in Master Pages: [http://erikswenson.blogspot.com/2010/01/sharepoint-2010-css-references-in.html]

For custom feature, it is for deploy custom *.css file in SharePoint site.

Hope this can help.       

Best Regards,

Aaron

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Monday, October 11, 2010 10:01 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Thank you Aaron. I'll have a look. Actually I found where the file is stored in SPD: the path there is:

/SiteName/_styles/corev4.css

It's just in a very bottom. I think that's why I didn't see it.  :)

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Here what I have:

1.In SP2010:  In SPD:

http://ServerName/Sites/NewPortal1

Under it:

Style library/Custom/NewCustom_1.css

2. In NewCustom_1.master under the <header> I've added:

<SharePoint:CssRegistration name="<% $SPUrl:~NewPortal1/Style Library/Custom/NewCustom.css %>" runat="server" After="corev4.css"/>

3. I created a code for test in NewCustom_1.css:

.CustomTable{
     background-color:aqua;
     border:4px;
    }

4. In NewCustom_1.master I am calling it this way:

<table id="CustomTable">

It doesn't work. Where is the error? Can you help me please?

Thank you!!!

Monday, September 27, 2010 5:55 PM
  • your css is a class vs an id change the .CustomTable to #CustomTable and it should work.
    Heather Waterman SharePoint Desginer www.heatherwaterman.com
    Monday, September 27, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Heather,

When I try to reload it in a browser - It give me this error now:

Cannot make a cache safe URL for "1033/styles/~NewPortal1/Style Library/Custom/NewCustom.css", file not found. Please verify that the file exists under the layouts directory.

It goes like that nomatter how I referense it (as class or id...)

Do I need to go to the server and put a file there? If yes - what exact path?

(sorry, I am so confused now...)

Monday, September 27, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Hi all,

I do not see at all the _styles folder in SPD from my production deployment. However, I do see it in my dev environment. Between me and the sys admins who deployed the production server, we cannot figure out what the difference is between our installations or user permissions so that the _styles folder doesn't show up in SPD. Also, when trying to edit the corev4.css file in production through SPD, I get a hashed filename, similar to corev4-somehex.css; then saving through SPD gives the impression that the file is saved, but the site doesn't respond to changes and then opening the file again proves that it has not been edited.

FYI, when I edited the corev4.css file in dev in a sub-site, I was warned by SPD that if I save the file, the sub-site will not inherit anymore the parent site's properties - exactly what I wanted, so I saved and my layout changes worked. But where is the edited file physically on the server? I cannot find it with search on the C: drive and it is clearly not anywhere under the inetpub/wwwroot/ hierarchy.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi check below link

http://eschrader.com/2010/09/23/sharepoint-2010-%E2%80%93-themes-and-corev4-css-comparison-technique-for-developers/

Hasan Jamal Siddiqui(MCTS,MCPD,ITIL@V3),Sharepoint and EPM Consultant,TCS

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:23 AM