none
How to view usage summary data outside of sharepoint?

Question

• Hi All,

We are using SharePoint 2007, and I'm told by my admin that we don't have the space to go beyond 30 days for "Site usage summary" data.

1.       How can I transcribe the data to another source/tool, so I can keep track
            of the history?
    2.       Where are the logs/data located?
    3.       Are there others tools I can use to read the historical data for SharePoint?

Thanks.

Matt

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Console application I suggested so that you can use the methods as 

SPWeb.GetUsageData(SPUsageReportType, SPUsagePeriodType, Int32, DateTime)

To get your desired data. The initial usage data is collected in IIS logs and the timer job mentioned in my previous post copies it into the database. You can get usage dat from IIS logs but that will requires some more efforts and analysis and I would recommend you to use LogParser to use in these scenario so that you can write queries to get data.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

• HI,

You can think of various approaches to keep the data based on your requirements. I would suggest you to create a console application that will extract the dat aon daily or weekly basis. You can use scheduled task to run it on schedules. 

There are two timer jobs 

1. Office Sharepoint Usage Log Import.

2. Office Sharepoint Usage Summary 

There jobs do the needful at sharepoint end. These are out of the box and they take data from IIS logs and keep them in database.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:49 AM
  • I'm still not quite sure I follow... I can create a C# console application to do something, but not sure what?  Are you tell me that the all the usage data is stored in IIS logs? If so, I can copy the IIS logs to another machine, but what tool would I use to read the IIS logs? Would sharepoint designer 2007 be able to read the logs I copy to create my usage reports?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Console application I suggested so that you can use the methods as 

SPWeb.GetUsageData(SPUsageReportType, SPUsagePeriodType, Int32, DateTime)

To get your desired data. The initial usage data is collected in IIS logs and the timer job mentioned in my previous post copies it into the database. You can get usage dat from IIS logs but that will requires some more efforts and analysis and I would recommend you to use LogParser to use in these scenario so that you can write queries to get data.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:58 PM