none
How best to use Office Web Apps

Question

• I have installed OWA on a client farm but I'm not sure whether to recommend that they activate the OWA feature on every site collection or not. 

I take it OWA should only be used in sites where all users don't have a full office client available? Or should it be enabled on every single site collection in the farm?

Hopefully I am not missing any steps but as far as I know just needs to be installed, then the feature activated. 

Any guidance would be great. 

Monday, January 07, 2013 5:55 PM

Answers

• It depends on the business requirements. e.g. It would be a good idea to activate the OWA feature on all site collection if you want to give your users some flexibility e.g. what if they are travelling or you add users in future who do not have Office client installed etc. I would not say that OWA should only be used where users don't have full office client available. If I am simply reading documents I would prefer reading it browser rather than application. So it all depends.

As far as Installation and configuration is concerned, after running OWA setup you need to run SharePoint Configuration Wizard on each server in a SharePoint server farm. After that you need to start OWA service instances, and create the service applications and service application proxy. Then you can activate the OWA feature at required Site Collection(s). If you have multiple site collection then you can use PowerShell to activate feature on multiple site collection. All new site collection will have feature activated automatically.

Amit

• Marked as answer by Speedbird85 Monday, January 07, 2013 6:29 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 6:11 PM

All replies

• It depends on the business requirements. e.g. It would be a good idea to activate the OWA feature on all site collection if you want to give your users some flexibility e.g. what if they are travelling or you add users in future who do not have Office client installed etc. I would not say that OWA should only be used where users don't have full office client available. If I am simply reading documents I would prefer reading it browser rather than application. So it all depends.

As far as Installation and configuration is concerned, after running OWA setup you need to run SharePoint Configuration Wizard on each server in a SharePoint server farm. After that you need to start OWA service instances, and create the service applications and service application proxy. Then you can activate the OWA feature at required Site Collection(s). If you have multiple site collection then you can use PowerShell to activate feature on multiple site collection. All new site collection will have feature activated automatically.

Amit

• Marked as answer by Speedbird85 Monday, January 07, 2013 6:29 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Very helpful - thanks.

Are there limitations to the functionality you can use in doc files if you use the browser version?

• Edited by Speedbird85 Monday, January 07, 2013 6:30 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Sure there will be limitation in functionality compared to Office client but most common functionality will be available in browser. If there are some advanced features are used in document which is only available through client then you will get message about that.

You should also read the following article regarding copy and paste

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps-help/copy-and-paste-in-office-web-apps-HA101792391.aspx

Amit

Monday, January 07, 2013 6:55 PM