none
Item Level Permission in SharePoint List?

Question

• Hi all,

i am Srinivas,

in my project i have a  Leave Details List for the employees  and in this site we have number of users like Site Administrator,  Supervisors, and Users. The following image contains the detailed explanation about users.

here user1 and user 2 are the employees and Supervisor1 is the administrator for those two employees.

The Following are the Conditions to implement in this list:

1. 'Leave Details' List  is the common list for all users and Supervisors

2. User1 and User2 can apply leave request in Leave Details List, 

Items display conditions :

a.  User 1 and User 2 users able see only their leave requests only which are created by themselves only.

b. Supervisor 1 should able see the leave requests of User 1 and User 2 only, Supervisor 2 and 3 should not able see the User 1 and User 2 leave              request, they should see only their users just like above tree view image.

c. Administrator should able see all the leave request like User 1,User2,User3....etc

As per my knowledge :

For condition 'a' i can set the list filter using with [Me], 

for condition 'c' i will use different list view for administrator only.

how could i workout for my condition 'b'  ?

is the way i am moving for my requirement is right ? if not how to do this ?

i hope you all get my point, 

Thanks

Srinivas

MO(LA)DDU

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:15 AM

Answers

• Here, If i understand correctly, you have pre-define relation information stored under a site for Supervisor and Users.

I mean Supervisor1 related with user1 and user2.

If yes, you can add list item event receiver for the assignment of permission for supervisor.

Here we can check whether the posted leave item is by user1 or user2, provide then permission to supervisor1 and restrict other ones. Hope it make sense!

Regards, Dharnendra Shah, MCTS,MCPD - Sharepoint 2010 Application Development Blog: http://ds-sharepoint2010blogs.blogspot.in/ Email: shahdg2003@gmail.com

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hi Srinivas,

If you set some list views, it will not refuse users and supervisors to open item's forms by direct URLs.

You really need to use permissions.

Also note that when permissions are used, you don't need to filter anything in views. List views do not display items which user is not allowed to read.

By the way, item permissions may slow down your portal. It is not recommended to have more than 1000 unique permissions per list.

Maybe you may try to structurize items in some list folders and set permissions to folders. Items would inherit permissions from folders.

In this case you would have less amount of unique permissions in the list and less perfomance penalty.

Ivan Gorbadey. Sharepoint 2010 MCPD & MCITP.

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:25 PM

All replies

• Here, If i understand correctly, you have pre-define relation information stored under a site for Supervisor and Users.

I mean Supervisor1 related with user1 and user2.

If yes, you can add list item event receiver for the assignment of permission for supervisor.

Here we can check whether the posted leave item is by user1 or user2, provide then permission to supervisor1 and restrict other ones. Hope it make sense!

Regards, Dharnendra Shah, MCTS,MCPD - Sharepoint 2010 Application Development Blog: http://ds-sharepoint2010blogs.blogspot.in/ Email: shahdg2003@gmail.com

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hi Srinivas,

If you set some list views, it will not refuse users and supervisors to open item's forms by direct URLs.

You really need to use permissions.

Also note that when permissions are used, you don't need to filter anything in views. List views do not display items which user is not allowed to read.

By the way, item permissions may slow down your portal. It is not recommended to have more than 1000 unique permissions per list.

Maybe you may try to structurize items in some list folders and set permissions to folders. Items would inherit permissions from folders.

In this case you would have less amount of unique permissions in the list and less perfomance penalty.

Ivan Gorbadey. Sharepoint 2010 MCPD & MCITP.

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:25 PM