none
Prevent new site inheriting users from parent site

Question

• Hi all,

New to SharePoint here, there's one behavior that confusing. When I create a new site and even if I use “Use unique permissions” when creating new site, users from parent site are still inherited to the new site. What’s the best approach on preventing these inherited users to the new site?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hello, Your approach is correct and you said that you have stopped inheriting permissions. But if you notice in your sub-site the groups from your parent's site already exists. So after stopping the permission inheritance you need to delete those user groups to resolve your issue. Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

• Marked as answer by Just.Code.It Monday, March 19, 2012 10:33 AM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Yes, it brings me to the "Setup Groups for this Site" page. I was just wondering what's the best approach for site and groups provisioning for this scenario. Thanks for your answer though.
    • Marked as answer by Just.Code.It Monday, March 19, 2012 10:37 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:37 AM

All replies

• To have unique users, you can create a new site collection instead of a new site.

http://sherifelmetainy.blogspot.com/

Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Hello, Your approach is correct and you said that you have stopped inheriting permissions. But if you notice in your sub-site the groups from your parent's site already exists. So after stopping the permission inheritance you need to delete those user groups to resolve your issue. Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

• Marked as answer by Just.Code.It Monday, March 19, 2012 10:33 AM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:18 PM
  • When you use unique permissions when creating a new subsite, it should immediately take you to a page where you have to set up the default groups for the new subsite. Are you getting that page? Are you configuring them to be unique (they can default to using the parent's groups)? A subsite created to use unique permissions should give you a chance to set up those permissions before completing the creating of the subsite.

CA Callahan | Author: Mastering Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 and Mastering Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 | Community Launch Leader |

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Yes, it brings me to the "Setup Groups for this Site" page. I was just wondering what's the best approach for site and groups provisioning for this scenario. Thanks for your answer though.
    • Marked as answer by Just.Code.It Monday, March 19, 2012 10:37 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Btw Shekhar, what seems to be the best practice for site and group provisioning on this scenario. For instance, if we do all configuration on test environment and want to deploy to production with large number of sites and groups. Manually removing user groups for, let's say 50 sites, would be overkilled.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:40 AM