none
"This task could not be updated at this time" Error in Outlook 2010 on Workflow Form

Question

• Hi,

I have setup a workflow to send task notifications to users and am getting an error when attempting to act on the InfoPath based workflow task form that appears in Outlook 2010 when clicking on the "Edit this task" button.  After clicking Approve, the form disappears, but after a few seconds a dialog box appears that says:

"This task could not be updated at this time"

The funny thing is that the task actually does get updated, but there is often a delay in doing so.  Does this warning appear because the server has a backup of workflow items to deal with?  I saw that in 2007 it meant something wasn't properly installed with InfoPath, but I am not sure if that is the case here or not.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am using Office 2010 and SharePoint Server 2010.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:27 PM

All replies

• I am surprised that no one has responded to your question dated July 22nd.

I am having the same issue. Not always but often enough to be annoying.

Las Vegas, NV
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:08 PM
  • I have the same issue. If I had to guess it's because the workflow in question goes stale and has to recompile, thus it times out on the client even thou it gets submitted to the server so it eventually processes.

Now either they need a longer time out fix, or we need some way to keep the workflow actively in memory somehow on our end for it to not do it. Preferably the longer timeout method would be best to save on ram, but I bet in bigger environments or workflows that get used often this won't be the issue.

You can pretty much reproduce this if you have 2 tasks from the same workflow, the first one will give the error. then after that if you wait a minute for the workflow to get going, then close your 2nd task, it will be instant. So it's something with the way it's getting garbage collected and having to recompile that's causing this delay with the client and a timeout just needs extended or something to give the server a chance to finish loading up the workflow.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I have the same issue. If I had to guess it's because the workflow in question goes stale and has to recompile, thus it times out on the client even thou it gets submitted to the server so it eventually processes.

Now either they need a longer time out fix, or we need some way to keep the workflow actively in memory somehow on our end for it to not do it. Preferably the longer timeout method would be best to save on ram, but I bet in bigger environments or workflows that get used often this won't be the issue.

You can pretty much reproduce this if you have 2 tasks from the same workflow, the first one will give the error. then after that if you wait a minute for the workflow to get going, then close your 2nd task, it will be instant. So it's something with the way it's getting garbage collected and having to recompile that's causing this delay with the client and a timeout just needs extended or something to give the server a chance to finish loading up the workflow.

Also there is a good article explaining reasons and solutions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2271.aspx

Best Regards,

Megren|Blog 

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:20 AM
  • This isn't the solution. The problem is a time out on the client app. If you have a workflow and you do it more than once usually the 2nd time through it won't error. The issue is these workflows or at least in my case go to sleep and have to recompile cause they aren't used all the time. It takes too long to recompile on the back end and the app times out. If you run a task back to back, first one will fail, 2nd will go just fine. Needs to be some kind of way to either keep the workflows alive or extend the timeout of the outlook app waiting for response from the workflow to fix this issue. Not sure if Microsoft knows about it or not, I would imagine they do. It is annoying, but i've learned to just tell everyone ignore it.
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Make sure the person who is approving the task has the right permissions to also update the lists defined in the workflow for "Task List" and "History List". Without proper permissions, they will see the "You cannot update at this time" error in Outlook.  I had this issue in SharePoint 2010 and using Outlook 2010.
    • Proposed as answer by Rickus59 Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 12:40 AM
  • In my instance and probably the original posters instance, if this was the case it would always happen. It only happens when you try to submit a task for the first time (it's a very low use workflow). If I do 4 different items of the same workflow in the list within a short amount of time back to back, the first gives the error but will still process after a short time, the following 3 go instantly through with no error. It's definatley time out related form Outlook waiting on SharePoint to respond to the submission.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:55 AM
  • This was exactly the issue in my situation. Doh!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Try to check your (client) network configuration (remove proxy, check your IP, etc.)
    Monday, June 04, 2012 12:07 PM
  • And me, person was external to my dept and didnt have permission on the other lists associated with workflow.
    Friday, November 09, 2012 2:58 PM
  • I have this same issue.  Has anyone been able to find a fix for this?
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Unless someone finds a way to keep the workflow somehow loaded in memory on the web server I doubt there is a way to fix it unless Microsoft extends the timeout period of the workflow in Outlook, or they really honestly just need to change the message to match what the workflow message does on the workflow status page of the workflow. The message that the server is temporarily busy or under load check later or something along those lines.
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 5:05 AM
  • I have exact the same Problem.

When I reassign the Task the "Edit this Task" in Outlook will show "This task could not be updated at this time". Its the OOB Approval Workflow.  On Office 2007 and SharePoint 2010.

With Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 it works! But this isn't an answer for me because we can't use Office 2010 for our Users. 

Any Ideas?

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:07 PM
  • I have been experiencing the same thing as Bluefire09 using the OOB workflow. I found the information in the link below, which is an exact match for the problem except it's in 2007, not 2010. My support staff has informed me that this fix isn't available for 2010. Does anyone out there know if there is a fix like it in the works for 2010?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970199

Any information will be appreciated... thanks!

• Edited by Longcr Monday, April 15, 2013 1:59 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Do you havce Infopath Forms Services Web Service proxy and InfoPath Forms Services Web service proxy for user forms enabled oin centeral admin?

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:24 PM