none
Multi-Tenancy and Standard SharePoint running in parallel

Question

• Hi,

I have a standard implementation of a SharePoint 2010 Farm in a production environment which has been live for a couple of years.

The SharePoint solution in my production environment makes use of Managed Metadata Service, User Profile Sync Service, Search Service & Word Automation Services.

I now want to create a SharePoint 2010 hosting environment configured for multi-tenancy.

Because the solution which is active in the current standard (non-multi-tenant) environment makes use of Shared Services (like Managed Metadata Service) the custom source code will try to access the service application data and expect such data to be centralized (non-partitioned).

In order to avoid having to migrate the current solution I am considering building a hybrid farm which allows for multi-tenancy as well as non-partitioned services. The idea is that the legacy code will target centralized (non-multi-tenant) data and the farm will also allow us to in the future deploy tenant sites in a pure multi-tenant fashion.

This is how I plan to accomplish running the hybrid:

1-Build a multi-tenant farm in which Managed Metadata svc, Search svc, UPS svc, etc. are partitioned (using PowerShell).

2-Create a multi-tenant web application with a few site collections (with site subscriptions) to verify that multi-tenancy is working.

3-Use Central Admin to create a new (additional) Managed Metadata service application (this time do not partition the service)

4-Use Central Admin to create a new (additional) Search service application (this time do not partition the service)

5- Use Central Admin to create a new (additional) UPS service application (this time do not partition the service)

6-Create a new Web Application which then makes use of the non-partitioned services created during steps #3-#5.

7-Backup & restore the site collection from the current live environment into the new environment against the web application created in step #6.

This way I believe that the farm can contain 2 web applications – one which makes use of non-partitioned services (non-multi-tenant) and another web application which contains site subscriptions and which makes use of partitioned services.

I did a little proof-of-concept to test my theory and all seems to work well.

Unfortunately I cannot find any reference material which confirms whether the attempt to build the abovementioned for a production environment will be successful or too risky.

Has anyone tried this before? Any advice / tips / warnings will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

PS: Thanks to Spencer Harbar for the great series on SP2010 Multi-Tenancy. The blog was very helpful: http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010mt1.aspx

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Johan,

Did you have any luck with this by the way?  I've got a production sharepoint VM which would like to now implement multi tenancy but struggling to get commands!

Thanks,

pjmartins

Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:41 PM