none
Quicklaunch bar and CSS

Question

• I have created a SharePoint site with sub sites.

The question I am curious about, and this issue has been driving me mad - when I try and apply the CSS (which is consistent through all of the sites, all linking to the same CSS file) for the quick launch bar, the parent site changes it to how I want it to. However, when I look through the other sites in the collection, the quick launch is in the same way as I left it and before I changed the style properties. 

I've tried refreshing, reattaching the CSS files to the master pages, clearing out my cache in my browser and nothing seems to work. And the CSS is definitely updating the files as I have tried changing other elements in the CSS files. But why is it not updating my quicklaunch bar? My CSS code was only removing the borders from around it....

Thanks in advance, this is just really annoying me and I want to know if SharePoint 2010 has some sort of trick up it's sleeve to make it do this and if someone else has had the experience and can help me out!

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hiya,

The Quicklaunch has a few nested containers, so are you entirely sure that you've turned them all off, as it were?

Heather's chart here shows you what I mean - http://sharepointexperience.com/csschart/csschart.html

If you've verified you've got them all, can I assume you've applied the "after" property in your csslink to make sure it renders after corev4 or whatever standard css file is used in your masterpage?

<SharePoint:CssRegistration name="myNewStylesheet.css"  After="corev4.css" runat="server"/>

If things still aren't going well, then it could simply be that the master page hasn't been applied to those subsites, and still gets the default one.

You can fix that in site settings (Look and Feel > Master Page) you can check a box to reset all subsites to inherit this site master page setting. This needs the publishing feature to be enabled to ensure you don't get an error.

Hope that helps!

PP

You can't be right all the time, but you can be smart everyday.
    • Edited by PorlyP Friday, January 27, 2012 10:11 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

to solve your problem try following steps

1. First check that the css you attached is actually attached with the master page or not,for this just add any class say .s4-tn {backgroud:black;} and check if master page navigation changed or not.if not attach the your css either using <link> tag or css registration.

2.Now ,If you are able to check changes,open page in IE 8 and press F12 .select your area with arrow (tool after f12 press) and check the css class for div.you can check your changes with source code css change within this tool also.after that add similar class in your css

hope this helps.

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:21 AM
  • It's definitely attached properly and to every subsite, I've tried this things already. It updates everything but the quick launch bar border. I can quite happily change the contents, but not the border? It is very bizarre...

Thanks for the link, but I have worked from that site before, it is very helpful!

I will try your third option when I have been given the correct permissions by the networking administrator, although I made the site myself and I'm the sole owner!!!!

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:42 AM
  • I've already said I've tried these before, and no such luck. Tried clearing out cache, using 4 different browsers and none of them want to submit into doing what I want them to do. :(

Thank you for youu help though.

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:42 AM