none
This view cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator

Question

• I have received several complaints from users that when they try to add a 4th lookup column in lists they get this error

This view cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator

Now I googled on the subject and everyone just goes and increases the threshold via central admin.

But my question is why is this error coming on adding 4th lookup column when the threshold is 8.

Has anyone else noticed that the error comes before the set threshold? if yes what is causing this?

MSDNStudent Knows not much!

Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:27 AM

Answers

• I found the cause of the issue. the people/Group columns ARE treated as lookup columns. that is why this error was occurring.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:36 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:36 PM

All replies

• Are there any workflow status columns? Also, are you promoting additional columns in the existing lookups that could contribute to the threshold?

MCPD, MCITP, MCTS

Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:52 AM
  • As mentioned, workflow status columns are lookup columns, and so are people columns. Any of these will count toward your limit. I think that managed metadata columns count as well. There are performance implications to changing the thresholds, so do so with care.

John

• Proposed as answer by Troy Lanphier Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Laemon Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:01 PM
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 1:29 PM
  • How do I know which columns are workflow columns and which columns are managed metadata columns?

I asked the user and they have never heard of either workflows or managed metadata. so I doubt if they have used these features in the list.

Is person or group column considered a lookup by any chance? (I did a small test where I added 10 columns of type people or group but didn't find any problem with default view.)

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:18 AM
  • please do refer below link this talks about the same error

How do I solve - This view cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold enforced by the administrator?

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=336

hope so this helps

Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:47 AM
  • I found the cause of the issue. the people/Group columns ARE treated as lookup columns. that is why this error was occurring.

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:36 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hi. I too have same problem. ie (The view cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator) but any solution I have found online points me to change the throttle settings in web applications settings under central administration. My problem is I simply do not have Central Administration > Web Applications etc... The problem is appearing on a document library for me and I have explored very settings options on the site but cannot find anything about trottleing or column threshold.

I am working on a Sharepoint website and have Workspace and Designer 2010.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:45 PM