Site Migration from MOSS 2007 to MOSS 2010

Question

• Presently our client have the MOSS 2007 Portal and they want to migrate those sites in to MOSS 2010. So, We need to show case something to that client. Please anyone have idea on the same, please let us know. It's very urgent.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
    Pradeep Seella

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:57 AM 2010 questions go to 2010 forums. Please in future post them directly there. (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:15 AM

All replies

• Here is my case

Install and configure SharePoint 2010, on a new environment

-          Determine hardware and software requirements (SharePoint Server 2010) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(office.14).aspx

-          Planning Logical architecture components http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263121(office.14).aspx

-       deployment guide for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262957(office.14).aspx

After installing and configuring your new SharePoint 2010,

Moving Content Database from SP 2007 to SP 2010

1) Find the content Database; These are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List

2) Backup the content database, You could alternatively detach it, and copy it. Just doing a backup in SQL Server Management studio is easier.

3) Restore content database to new server, Copy the BAK file to new server. Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the "options" tab of the restore dialog to get it to work. (Overwrite db).

4) Create Web App on SharePoint 2010

5) Remove Content Database from the new web app.

Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app

c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\14\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM.

run this command from there. Which will upgrade the content db to 2010?

stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver

6) Run ISSRESET from command prompt

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    • Proposed as answer by Panjain Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:32 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Dear Ammar,

Thanks for your Quick reply and support.

I have followed the above all steps for Portal Migrating. But While attaching the Database I am getting following error:

"Invalid object name 'Sites'

Please let me know do you have any solution regarding this.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
    Pradeep Seella

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:26 AM
  • I believe you missed one or more of the preparation steps before moving the 2007 content database. You need to be sure the 2007 farm is running SP2 or later (version 12.0.6421 == 2007 SP2). Run the preupgradecheck command on the 2007 farm before doing the backup. That doesn't change anything, it just alerts you of issues.

If you do all the steps in the preceding links, the upgrade will work and go relatively smoothly. There just aren't any shortcuts.

Jeff

• Proposed as answer by Panjain Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:31 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Hi Pradeep,

I am somehow agree the steps mentioned by ammar but he has missed certain steps. If you have deployed any custom componemt in moss 2007 like custom master pages, site definition then your site cannot be blowed up. So I will suggest firstly deploy the custom component in 2010 which you have already deployed in 2007 then follow above steps. Your application will working in the same way as in 2007. If still you face difficulties then let me know what issue you are facing.

Regards,

Pankaj Jain

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Hi Pradeep,

I have been able to successfully upgrade my MOSS 2007 Portal to SharePoint 2010. The steps that i performed are similar to steps given by Ammar. I have also written about the steps using which i successfully upgraded my MOSS 2007 portal. You can find them here How to Upgrade to SharePoint 2010 using Database Attach method

Hope it helps!!

Best regards , Anshul Sehgal MCP

My Blog : Anshul's SharePoint Blog
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:43 AM
  • I think you didn't install the service pack in your old SharePoint 2007 farm, I wrote all the steps and how to validate your old database before doing the migration, I hope it will help.

http://randombase.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-upgrade-moss-2007-site-to-moss.html
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Hi ,

I have sql server 2008, I am not able to take back up of content database becaue I don't have password for SA user.

I can only view content database by Windows Authentication.

My SQL Server 2008 Instance for SharePoint is "ServerName\OfficeServers".

Can you please let me know password of sa user.

G. Goyal
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

You can use the same Windows username to have the administration privileges and take your file by following below steps:

To add a Windows user that has the login "machinename\Administrator" to the sysadmin fixed server role

1.      Log on to the computer using the credentials for the machinename\Administrator account.
       2.      Click the Start button, point to All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
       3.      Connect to an instance of SQL Server.
       4.      Click Security, right-click Logins, and then click New Login.
       5.      In the Login name box, enter the user name.
       6.      In the Select a page pane, click Server Roles, select the sysadmin check box, and then click OK.

To add a normal Windows user that has the login "domainname \username" to the sysadmin fixed server role

1.      Log on to the computer using the credentials for the domainname\username account.
       2.      Click the Start button, point to All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server, right-click SQL Server Management Studio, and then click Run as administrator.

Note: The Run as administrator option elevates the user permissions.

3.      In the User Access Control dialog box, click Continue.
       4.      In SQL Server Management Studio, connect to an instance of SQL Server.
       5.      Click Security, right-click Logins, and then click New Login.
       6.      In the Login name box, enter the user name.
       7.      In the Select a page pane, click Server Roles, select the sysadmin check box, and then click OK.

For all the details check this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326612.aspx

Please let me know if this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Mac SP Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:30 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

We have not installed this instatance "Server\SharePoint". This instance is installed when sharepoint 2010 is installing on server.

We have tried lots of thing to add an administrative user in this instance but we are not able to add.

Can you you suggest what could be default password for SA user for this instance.

I mean when I am installing sharepoint 2010 then It will automatically install sql server & creating new instance for sharepoint ,

administrator of that server is also not able to create any user or not able to change sa password or not able to take back up or resotore any database.

Please help.

G. Goyal
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

I hope this link can help, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/322336?p=1

Regards,
    Hassan

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:33 PM
  • To run this command I have be an administrator or special rights in sql server but on this SQL Server Instance our domain administrator also have no rights.

By which login This sharepoint default instance is installed on this server?

G. Goyal
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Please answer.

Is any other way to Migrate a Single Site (Which can have multiple sub-sites and other Items) of SharePoint 2007 To SharePoint 2010?

G. Goyal
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

even if you are not an administrator you can add your self by following below steps,

1.      Log on to the computer using the credentials for the domainname\username account.
       2.      Click the Start button, point to All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server, right-click SQL Server Management Studio, and then click Run   as administrator.

4.      In SQL Server Management Studio, connect to an instance of SQL Server your Server/Sharepoint in your case.
       7.      In the Select a page pane, click Server Roles, select the sysadmin check box, and then click OK.

As per what mentioned in my first links this will work even if you are not Administrator in SQL but you must be an administrator on the server that hosts SQL server.

Also regarding the SA default password, I believe it will be blank or SA try both, but I think the Mixed mode is not enabled by default.

Regards,

Hassan

• Proposed as answer by Mac SP Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:31 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

even if you are not an administrator you can add your self by following below steps,

2.      Click the Start button, point to All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server, right-click SQL Server Management Studio, and then click Run   as administrator.

4.      In SQL Server Management Studio, connect to an instance of SQL Server your Server/Sharepoint in your case.

As per what mentioned in my first links this will work even if you are not Administrator in SQL but you must be an administrator on the server that hosts SQL server.

Also regarding the SA default password, I believe it will be blank or SA try both, but I think the Mixed mode is not enabled by default.

Regards,

Hassan

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:41 PM
  • there are some alternatives, you can switch sql server off and copy the database files manually instead of doing backup/restore, then you can attach these files in your SharePoint 2010 SQL.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Thanks,

It is working now. Now I am able to log on to sql server.

Thanks again.

G. Goyal
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Hi 

Thanks for the process, it worked but i am asking dumb question, what about the UI, will it reflect the New UI or the old moss UI. When i migrated i got the old UI not new one, i don't know if i missed something here?

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Sorry i am really dumb, now i got the new UI, in site action there is an option to change visuals and now i have new UI.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Hi Ammar,

Is there any microsoft migration tools for Site Migration from MOSS 2007 to MOSS 2010 (not database attach dettach method) or is their any other solution to do this please help me as it is urgent...

Regards,

Anil

Monday, April 26, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Hi Anil,

It is not the issue of Site Migration, it is all about upgrade

When you perform a database attach, in fact you perform a database attach upgrade which means this will do upgrade and attach in one action

for Microsoft refrence about Perform a database attach upgrade

• Prepare the new SharePoint Server 2010 environment for a database attach upgrade
    • Attach databases and upgrade to SharePoint Server 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ee517214.aspx

Best Regards, Ammar MCT http://ahmed-ammar.blogspot.com Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Thanks! Your instructions/steps worked out very well for my migration of moss 07 to moss 10.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

In your steps..."After installing and configuring your new SharePoint 2010"

Must i install and run the config wizzard afterwords?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Ahmed,

I am confused in data base attach migration method for the follwoing scenario .Can you please give me clarity? it is urgent.

We have a production system in wss3.0. I took  backup of the content database using sql servr management studio tool.

Can I restore this content DB to a test environment ( on sun Virtual box with 'windows 7' 64-bit host OS) and from test env't to new production system? 

If my testing is done and ready to move to new production system then How can I add the data accumulated during testing period (one month) to new prod'n system from wss3.0 system.

Best regards,

Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Hi -

We have applied all the steps you have mentioned and content database was restored successfully but beside this content database we have backup of this site from SP 2007 and we need also to restore the site to SP 2010.

i have notice that you have created a new web application but in our case we have already exiting site @ SP 2007 and we need to restore it to SP 2010.

Could anyone help us to solve this issue as our work is totally pending on it?

Maylo
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Hi Pradeep,

you can find the entire steps of migrating a SharePoint 2007 Site from SharePoint 2010 from this link.

http://appsense.logimindz.com/?p=37

Let me know if you Face any problem and I will be happy to assist you on this.

Deepak Sinha

deepak@logimindz.com

www.logimindz.com

Deepak Sinha Logimindz Technologies Pvt. Ltd. www.logimindz.com
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Site converted to SharePoint 2010 cannot be opened in SharePoint Designer 2010. I am confused what should i do to open it in Designer. Also is it possible??
    Friday, March 04, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Fahad,

Yes, you can open the migrated site in sharepoint designer 2010. Sometimes you are unable to open the site in sharepoint designer because your home page contains web parts. You can open the page in your browser with ?contents=1 then it will display all the web parts. The web part which show error remove that one and try to open the site in designer then it will open without any issue. if you still face an issue then let mw know what exact issue you get.

Thanks,

Pankaj jain

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

When you migrate to SharePoint 2010 using database attach method, does this process create the user groups and permissions in sharepoint 2010?

I have installed SharePoint 2010 on a new server and need to copy a 2007 site from another server to the new server. Please let me know the correct steps? Do i first need to create the users on the new server ?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Hi Deepak ,

I am not able to open the URL given by you....

Thanks,

LP

• Proposed as answer by lipsa12 Monday, July 02, 2012 7:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lipsa12 Monday, July 02, 2012 7:31 AM
    • Proposed as answer by lipsa12 Monday, July 09, 2012 4:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hemendra AgrawalMVP, Moderator Wednesday, August 07, 2013 5:49 AM
    Monday, July 02, 2012 6:32 AM
  • yes... as per my knowledge you need to create users first....

Thanks

• Edited by ANIL M Monday, August 27, 2012 10:17 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 10:16 AM
  • HI, Anshul 

Please provide your method which has minimum downtime on my id please d.yevle@gmail.com 

Regards, DYevle [MCTS]

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:27 AM
  • SharePoint Migration is a complex process and has multiple stages starting from Planning to Post migration fixes.  Use this guide to Migrate from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010:

Migrate from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 - Step by Step
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:51 PM