none
Copy List across the sites

Question

• I have Two subsites. Site 1 HR and Site 2 Tech. I have created list in Site 2 Tech which i need to copy into the Site 1 HR. is their any way you can do that from front end.
    I am using the SP 2010. I don't have Central Admin access.

Anekm

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• You can save the list as template, and use the template while creating the list in Site 1

In the list in Site 2, go to list settings page, and click on Save List as Template.

Go to Site 1, click on create button, you can see the template(created in the above step) under Custom Lists sections. Select this template which creates the list with  same structure.

If you want to include the content as well, make sure you check the 'Include Content' check box while creating the template.

However, if there is large volume of data in the list, template is not recommended. You need to use the Export-SPWeb/Import-SPWeb cmdlets to take export and import it the second site

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

• You can save the list as template, and use the template while creating the list in Site 1

In the list in Site 2, go to list settings page, and click on Save List as Template.

Go to Site 1, click on create button, you can see the template(created in the above step) under Custom Lists sections. Select this template which creates the list with  same structure.

If you want to include the content as well, make sure you check the 'Include Content' check box while creating the template.

However, if there is large volume of data in the list, template is not recommended. You need to use the Export-SPWeb/Import-SPWeb cmdlets to take export and import it the second site

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:10 PM
  • ..or you could use the "Manage Content and Structure" (available in Publishing Sites) to directly move your list, as long as you are in the SAME site Collections. This uses the behind the scenes the Content Deployment functions in SharePoint.

Chris O'Brien has actually a tool that could help you transfer the lists in cases where you are not using Publishing sites. Find it here http://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/

For cross site collections, you could use the Save as Template technique as described already previously.

Hope it helps,

C:\Marius

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:20 PM