none
Access Denied to HOSTS file

Question

• I am having a problem when it comes to my Index server.  I get  "Reason: Access to the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS' is denied." 

The search account has RW permissions to the HOSTS file.  I even added EVERYONE with Full Control and the error still triggers.  Also, the HOSTS file gets deleted.  I found that the Database Access Account is the one deleteing the HOSTS file.

I can create sheduled crawl with no problems.  I know some people are getting access denied there.  However,  I get the following every minute in Event Viewer App log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category: Office Server Shared Services
    Event ID: 6482
    Date:  6/11/2007
    Time:  7:38:59 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: *REMOVED*

Description:
    Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (fc554632-0e82-45d4-89c5-8ac9c4924d8a).

Reason: Access to the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS' is denied.

Techinal Support Details:
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileInfo.Delete()
       at Microsoft.Search.Administration.Security.HOSTSFile.CleanupDedicatedGathering(Hashtable HOSTSFileMappings, StringBuilder HOSTSComments, IEnumerable obsoleteHosts, String dedicatedName, Boolean isDirty)
       at Microsoft.Search.Administration.Security.HOSTSFile.ConfigureDedicatedGathering(SearchServiceInstance searchServiceInstance, SPServer dedicatedWebFrontEndServer, IList`1 previousWebApplicationHostNames)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.SynchronizeDefaultContentSource(IDictionary applications)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any help is appreciated!

Monday, June 11, 2007 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies