none
User Profile Synchronization Service cannot start

Question

• Hello.

I followed the http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ee721049.aspx but when I process the 

Phase 1: Start the User Profile Synchronization service

The User Profile Synchronization service returns to stop after 5 minutes starting.

No errors can be found in Windows Event log, but:

The start type of the Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service service was changed from disabled to auto start.

(5 minutes later)

The start type of the Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service service was changed from auto start to disabled.

No errors can be found by ULS Viewer, but:

User Profile Application: Begin synchronizing profile property display names for language lcid = '1033'.

User Profile Application: Done synchronizing profile property display names for language lcid = '1033'.

repeat several times.

How to start this service? It seems many user asked this question. I've checked many post but nothing useful.

Thanks.

Eternal Snow

Friday, March 02, 2012 2:42 AM

Answers

• User profile sync does not support sql authentication to the database server, if you are using sql authentication then this will be the problem.  It is not very clear that this is not supported in the MS documentation. This is a known issue by Microsoft with currently no resolution.

http://sharepointsurfer.wordpress.com/.

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Eternal Snow,

There are many threads about User Profile Synchronization all over the web and almost every issue is solved with this GREAT !! article that Harbar has provided for us

Harbar´s - Rational Guide to implementing SharePoint Server 2010 User Profile Synchronization

From my experience UPS seems to be quite complicated but in fact it is quite straight forward IF you follow each and every step in the guide above. If you fail with one of the steps you will never get UPS up and running or even working properly even if it looks ok.

Also remember that if you have installed any cumulative updates (you should have atleast installed the Augusti CU) you need to re-provisioning UPS again!

Best of luck!

BR

//Gutke

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.

• Edited by Gutke Friday, March 02, 2012 8:18 AM
    Friday, March 02, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Thanks for your reply anyway.

I've read that article several times. I can setup sync service on a clean system without any problem. But I still cannot setup it on my server which I required this service. Have no idea.

Or, is there any way to migrate sites (project server included) from one sharepoint 2010 to another server?

Eternal Snow

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:36 AM
  • If you for some reason fail with UPS in your current environment, I think the best approach is to start from scratch. What I mean with that is that you should remove all the FIM services (User Profile Services and User Profile Synchronization Service) and also their related databases. Be sure to add your farm account to local admin. Once you have triggered the service to start, do a IISRESET to be sure the job kicks in immediately to start provisioning. Go and get coffee or tea :)

If you haven’t located it already Harbar has some other great posts on UPS with different kinds of issues you might encounter, might be a help for you.

http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups2.aspx

You say that you can setup a clean system without any problem.. do you have SP1 and August CU installed on your production farm?

//Gutke

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Thanks for your information.

This server contains important data so cannot erase existed sites/db and start it over.

I've tried to re-create the UPS service.

Now, I have to wait for MS tech on-site support. Thanks all.

Eternal Snow

Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi again, 

I meant to remove the specific services and their specific databases which is not going to harm no one since the UPS isnt working anyway. no other databases or sites will be affected.

I wish you the best of luck with the on-site support! And if you find some usefull information about what the problem was please share it with the community.

BR

//Gutke

Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Hmmm....

As I know, when I delete the UPS, the databases created with this service will be removed automatically.

I've no idea which more databases should be removed.

Eternal Snow

Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Yes you are correct, I am used to create and remove service applications within powershell and then it doesnt remove the databases by default (this can ofcourse be done with the -RemoveData parameter)

Sunday, March 04, 2012 12:06 PM
  • User profile sync does not support sql authentication to the database server, if you are using sql authentication then this will be the problem.  It is not very clear that this is not supported in the MS documentation. This is a known issue by Microsoft with currently no resolution.

http://sharepointsurfer.wordpress.com/.

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Report: MS on-site support cannot fix it either.

Even, they cannot re-build a clean system with UPS. They suck.

Eternal Snow

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:26 PM
  • The whole story is: the on-site support staffs build a sharepoint 2010 with sp1 and dec 2011 CU (with Project Server and Office Web Apps, which are required in our company). SPS Synchronization service can be started. But when start sync the account, lots of errors about permission written to event log and the application pool has been shutdown.

They re-install the os again, and fall into the same jam.

Then, they have no idea any more. "maybe you should rebuild your domain." yes, maybe my boss will rebuild them first.... hah

Eternal Snow

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:34 PM