none
Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': Provider load failure

Question

• Hello,

I am using Visual Studio 2010 to create page layouts and preview images(http://blog.beckybertram.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=71). I was successful in creating page layouts but the image was not coming properly.

So I decided to change the path of image and deploy the project (Empty SharePoint project). But this time, I am getting an error
    Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': Provider load failure
    I am sure there is no relation between changing image path in elements.xml and this error.

I also browsed through and found some related issues, but they are not specific to VS 2010 or SharePoint 2010. And I am apprehensive of implementing them.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb961987(VS.90).aspx

1. The logged in user is site collection admin and local admin
    2. Windows Management Instrumentation service is running
    3. App pool's identity is configured to the local admin & password has not changed.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi all,

1. Closing the VS 2010 and opening the solution again,
    2. iisreset from command prompt

have helped me in solving this problem.

I am not able to recreate the error.

Vighnesh Bendre
    http://markviky.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Try to set build output to details. You can do so by going Visual Studio's Tools => Options =>"Projects and Solutions" => "Build and Run". Then set the option for "MSBuild Project build output verbosity" to diagnostic or details. After that see the output window for more information on what is causing the error. However as Vignesh suggested, reseting IIS or restarting VS will solve the problem. However if this happens frequently, then you need permanent solution.

Thanks,
    Sohel Rana
    http://ranaictiu-technicalblog.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by daniel.larson Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

while deploying web part solution I am getting following error ( by useing VS 2010).

“Error 1  Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': <nativehr>0x80070005</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Access denied.                   0              0              WebParts”

On SharePoint Server 16GB of RAM is available and I check the Application Pools where all services are running.

Regards,

Abhay A Joshi

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

It seems the permission related problem. Please check if you are running Visual Studio with administrative privileges.  Also make sure the user, u logged in the server and running Visual Studio, is administrator in SharePoint.

Thanks,
    Sohel Rana
    http://ranaictiu-technicalblog.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hey, 

I had this problem while connecting to a development Virtual Machine Remotely. 

Make sure: 

• The account you are logged in as is in Farm Administrators on SharePoint
    • The account you are running under is in the Site Collection Administrators group (for the site you're deploying too).
    • The deployment SharePoint site is local to visual studio. 
    • your account has appropriate permissions on Sql Server hosting SharePoint databases.
    • Visual Studio should be "Run as Administrator"

In my case I was logging in as "Domain\admin" but when I was running the deployment it was doing so under "LOCALMACHINE\Admin" - I added the local admin to the appropriate SharePoint administrators groups and this resolved the Issue. 

Best of luck, 

Ryan

Monday, November 01, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

This error was coming to me as my user account was not site collection administrator. I went to central administration>> Manage application>> Site collection administrator. There I added my user account as Secondary site collection administrator.

Now its working for me.

Thanks a lot,

Kamal Singh

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Hi ,

2. iisreset from command prompt.

Hope it will help you to solve problem.

Warm Regards

Sachin Kalia

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:41 AM
  • I have tried the above steps but still getting the same error
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:21 AM
  • I'd tried Vighnesh's solution of closing and opening the solution and resetting IIS (iisreset), but that didn't work for me.

However, I found an article that gave a list of things to check:

1. The logged in user is site collection admin and local admin
    2. Windows Management Instrumentation service is running
    3. App pool's identity is configured to the local admin & password has not changed.
    4. Add the current user as database owner

In my case, even though the WMI service was running, I found that restarting is (and thus IP Helper) resolved my instance of Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': Provider load failure

Hope this helps for others too

A true software developer is one who, when told to 'Go to Hell', sees the 'go to', rather than the destination, as harmful.
    • Proposed as answer by QMKevinB Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Its not working for me. Did everything mentioned above along with access...

Error I get is..

Error 1 Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': Not found

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Hi prathalye just you RUN IISRESET .

After this go to your visual studio once you save the solution and deploy again it will work.

If you are still getting the same error restart your server.

Hope this helps.

rihdus
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I am also getting the same error "Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': Not found".

I did everything restarted IIS, restarted VS2010, restarted server but still getting this error. I was able to deploy SP solutions successfully previously using VS2010. But now its not working.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Did you try this part too?

In my case, even though the WMI service was running, I found that restarting is (and thus IP Helper) resolved my instance of Error occurred in deployment step 'Recycle IIS Application Pool': Provider load failure

restarting IIS, VS2010 and the server didn't work for me, I had to manually restart the WMI server to get my issue resolved.

Kevin

A true software developer is one who, when told to 'Go to Hell', sees the 'go to', rather than the destination, as harmful.
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:33 PM
  • I had fixed this issue. The issue is with WMI.

I found this when I was installing SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 update and the update failed because "Windows Management Instrumentation failed on SQL 2008 Installation".

I found this site which has fix for this and by following the instrutions fixed SQL Server SP2 update and VS2010 deployment error as well.

• Proposed as answer by Arvi_Mp Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hi all,

2. iisreset from command prompt

have helped me in solving this problem.

I am not able to recreate the error.

Muy buena solucion, Me funciono muy bien.

Vighnesh Bendre
    http://markviky.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Thanks alot for your reply. I have been struggling so long with this problem. Before it used to work but suddenly it stopped working. By restarting the WMI service, the error is gone.

Thursday, November 03, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hello Abhay

Yes for you it is permission issue just set yourself as site collection admin

Cheers

Momo

Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:41 PM
  • QMKevinB: I agree with your solution.  I had all the right permissions in SQL 2008 R2 databases, and in Central Admin, and in the App pools, and Windows Management Instrumentation was running and I was still getting this error, even after closing VS2010, IIS Reset, etc. 

However when I restarted WMI (I also restarted WWW Publishing Service and did an IIS Reset for extra kick) and then went back in to VS2010, did a rebuild and a deploy,it worked! 

Thanks for saving me valuable time!

David Morrissey

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:47 PM
  • I also had the same issue. I restarted number of services but nothing happened. I restarted the server and it was fine. That was not a good solution as next day it happened again. I again did many restarts of services. It started working after I restart the Windows Management service:

Windows Powershell command:

restart-service Winmgmt -force
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:33 AM
  • you're a hero man, helped me a lot ;-)
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Hello

This error is general and misleading

Here Are the steps:

1) Make sure that VS runs in admin mode and your account has the right to recycle the pool

2) Check your code if there was any omission or change concerning package folders

Thanks 

Momo

Monday, February 10, 2014 8:07 PM