none
Visio Web Drawing Not Working

Question

• Hello

I have created a Visio 2010 Drawing, and saved it as a web drawing to my sharepoint 2010 server.

Visio 2010 - Version: 14.0.4760.1000 (32-bit)
    SharePoint 2010 - Version 14.0.4763.1000 (64-bit)

When i create a page and add a visio web access webpart and then open my web drawing i get an error which reads:

'The Server failed to process the request'

The Event Viewer shows the following error:

Failed to get Vector Diagram for visio file page Exception : The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

I have tried google, bing and technet but cant find an answer.

I have a secure store target spplication id set up and credentials set and have added that information to the visio graphic service global settings.

Any ideas what i can do to fix this issue?

Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:54 AM

Answers

• I had the same issue trying to publish a drawing that had no links to external data (getting error "The server failed to process the request"). I fixed the issue by giving the service account running the Visio Grahics Service Application SQL permissions to the content database the Visio documents were located in.

Let me know if this helps...http://imperfectit.blogspot.com/

Imperfect IT - Because when does anything work the way it's supposed to? http://imperfectit.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi

I didnt use any external data, i have literally just tried the following:

Open Visio 2010 blank document
    Save as web drawing directly into a Sharepoint Documents library
    when it saves it tries to launch it in the browser
    This is where it fails.

I tried the same steps as you described and found that I had to give the Application pool account db_owner on the SharePoint content database before the diagram would render. I tried with db_reader and db_writer, but received a general “The Server failed to process the Request.”

The ULS shows error as:

Insufficient SQL database permissions for user 'Name: domain\VisioAppPoolUser SID: S-1-5-21-52832475-855600121-1330272300-5927 ImpersonationLevel: None' in database 'Sharepoint_Content_databaseName' on SQL Server instance 'ServerName\SQLInstanceName. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'proc_GetTpWebMetaDataAndListMetaData', database 'Sharepoint_Content_ databaseName ', schema 'dbo'.”

My Visio Graphics Service uses a separate application pool then the default. Generally I have read that it is best to have one application pool for all services for performance, but that is not how I inherited this farm.

Does anyone know if there is a way to not give db_owner for the user and have the diagram still render?

Monday, June 06, 2011 8:57 PM

All replies

• I think you had used external data in the Visio web drawing since you mentioned the unattended service account and secure store target application id.

And I think you have already read this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visio/archive/2010/03/10/visio-services-details-for-administrators.aspx and some of the documents mentioned in the blog.

Could you please let me know more about what kind of external data source did you use, what kind of authentication is configured in the secure store application id so that I can reproduce your issue on my computer?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Hi

This is where it fails.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Did you get anywhere with this as I am having exactly the same issue.

Thanks.  

error from eventvwr - as follows:

WebHost failed to process a request.

Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment+HostingManager/17653682

Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service '/26272350a4444b72a454a78c99fd0c37/VisioGraphicsService.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation.  The exception message is: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Visio.Server.Rasterizer, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.. ---> 

Sunday, November 07, 2010 3:56 PM
  • See if this resolves your issue ...

http://www.sathishtk.com/blog/post/2010/02/03/Visio-2010-Beta-Services-Error-The-server-failed-to-process-the-request.aspx

I had issues with Visio Services and this resolved my issues...

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

SharePoint Saurday India Online Nov 20 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

Monday, November 08, 2010 1:46 AM
  • I had the same issue trying to publish a drawing that had no links to external data (getting error "The server failed to process the request"). I fixed the issue by giving the service account running the Visio Grahics Service Application SQL permissions to the content database the Visio documents were located in.

Let me know if this helps...http://imperfectit.blogspot.com/

Imperfect IT - Because when does anything work the way it's supposed to? http://imperfectit.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi

This is where it fails.

I tried the same steps as you described and found that I had to give the Application pool account db_owner on the SharePoint content database before the diagram would render. I tried with db_reader and db_writer, but received a general “The Server failed to process the Request.”

The ULS shows error as:

Insufficient SQL database permissions for user 'Name: domain\VisioAppPoolUser SID: S-1-5-21-52832475-855600121-1330272300-5927 ImpersonationLevel: None' in database 'Sharepoint_Content_databaseName' on SQL Server instance 'ServerName\SQLInstanceName. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'proc_GetTpWebMetaDataAndListMetaData', database 'Sharepoint_Content_ databaseName ', schema 'dbo'.”

My Visio Graphics Service uses a separate application pool then the default. Generally I have read that it is best to have one application pool for all services for performance, but that is not how I inherited this farm.

Does anyone know if there is a way to not give db_owner for the user and have the diagram still render?

Monday, June 06, 2011 8:57 PM
  • As of my understanding we need to provide the Application pool account the DB_owner permission and not the user.

If would be okay in that case. I just now deal that case and it worked as I said

Thanks, I got the hint from your lines

Vivek

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:52 AM
  • I have same issue and have given the Visio service account, which, of course, is the same as the application pool account for the Visio Service, DBO permissions on the content database. I have rebooted IIS, but the issue remains the same. If I click OK on the error a web page opens with the following URL. The page has a link to the Visio file I clicked on which generated the error. "http://sql12bi:3900/sites/visio/_layouts/15/VisioWebAccess/VisioWebAccess.aspx?id=/sites/visio/Visio%20Lib/Airport.vsdx&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fsql12bi%3A3900%2Fsites%2Fvisio%2FSitePages%2FHome%2Easpx" This link on this page has the text "Open in Visio" and I can click on the link and open the Visio file. So my guess is that clicking from the link in the library, attempts to open the file in the browser, and perhaps in the VisioWebAccess web part (if there is such a thing). If fail to open the Visio drawing in the web part. If I look at the library, the library is configured to open the drawing in the browser. It is not clear to me, what the issue is about opening the Visio drawing in the web part. Since this is a common occurrence which many blogs have cited, I am wondering whether Microsoft has noted this, has created a work around, and is going to address this with a service pack.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 9:19 PM