none
What is the difference between CAB, DAT, and BAK files?

Question

• It appears that any of these file types can be used with STSADM.EXE for backing up, restoring, exporting, and importing. What is the differences between these file types and what format should I be using and when?

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:22 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, DAT and BAK files are same just the difference of extension and they contain data in binary undocumented format.

CAB is a cabinet file, which is a group of files, used by Microsoft to be used as a package for webparts, solutions and templates. It is worth noting that STP , WSP are also CAB files only with just different extensions to indicate context.

They can be crated with makecab.exe

Madhur
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

Do you know if Microsoft has any best practices documentation regarding the use of these various file types?

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Hi

I do not think there is. I believe the usage of these types are pretty straightforward.

Madhur
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:41 AM
  • I am still not exactly clear as to when and why I should be using the various file extensions.  I think what is confusing is that I have yet to see a piece of backup documentation that mentions them all at once.  I suppose that I will just use the .bak extension for my nightly stsadm backup routine.  So far I know of the following extensions that work correctly…

.bak

.cmp

.cab

.dat

.stp

.wsp

Are there any other types?

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi

If I am not wrong wid my thinking , you can use any extension possible. The point is, the backup is just a binary file with stream of bytes. So you cannot use anything as long as you provide exactly same name while restoring.

Remember, extensions just help us in determining the type of file. They do not define the contents.

For ex, if you remane the .xls file to .bmp, it does not become a picture ... Got my point ??

Madhur
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:02 PM
  • You are correct, however if you change a .bmp file to .xls you will not be able to open it in programs like Photoshop.  I figured that this was a similar situation.  Regardless, thanks for the tip Madhur.

Also, Mike Walsh added this bit of information as well...

"It doesn't matter which extension you use for your stsadm backup. Todd
    Klindt in chapter three of the Real World SharePoint 2007 book (the
    chapter on SP administration) where he gives a lot of info on using
    stsadm in real life, suggests using a completely different extension
    (such as .stsadm - not sure if that exactly was what he says, but
    similar) so that you can immediately identify them as stsadm backups and
    nothing else that is using the rather common .bak file name.

Seemed a good idea to me when I read it."

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:13 PM