none
Display value from different list based on lookup dropdown selection

Question

• I am working on a small app to help track inventory.  As part of this I have 2 lists: Inventory and Materials Used.  The Inventory list is just that, a list of all the times we have in our inventory and related descriptive information such as item name (text), amount on hand (number), and unit of measurement (text).  The Materials Used list is designed to track instances when inventory is used, so it has columns for things such as item name (lookup to Inventory list) and amount (number).

What I have run into is that when users are adding entries to the Materials Used list, they do not know what unit of measurement is used for the various items.  I am using a custom list form to enable entries to the Materials Used list so that the users only have to select the item name and enter the amount used, but I need to be able to display the appropriate unit of measurement for the item once it is selected from the lookup dropdown.  I am unsure of how to do this since the unit of measurement is kept in the Inventory list.

My thought is to add a label to my custom list form directly below the item name field that would show the unit of measurement value for whatever inventory item is selected.  I have found the following post which provides the JQuery needed to update the field (with a little tweaking to set the field value rather than hide it which was the original question in the post), however I don't know how to pull the unit of measurement value from the Inventory list when the item name is selected since I'm working in the Materials Used list form.

Any ideas?  Am I on the right path or is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks! - Chanda

Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

• I think this might help you

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/43c19115-dfea-4db6-8ddc-686ef922eead
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:34 AM