none
how to import users from Exchange/AD directly into a contact list

Question

• I am aware that you can import user data into a contact list in SP2010 by creating a contact list in Outlook, connecting to the site collection, and dragging the individual contacts, but is there a more direct way? Users who were familiar with WSS 2.0 claim that they could import all users by pointing to a DL. That method seems to be limited to WSS 2.0 and Outlook 2003. Cannot seem to find documentation on how to populate contact lists.

Not running User Profile Sync yet, but will deploy that if it makes the task easier on site managers. Any advice appreciated.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

You could divide your requirement into two tasks. Firstly, extract the entire UserProfile AD user details into a CSV file, then import the csv file into a SharePoint list.

For the first task, you have three choices:

·         export from the "Central Administration" - "Manage User Profiles" section

·         write the code solution to export all the user level detail from the site-collection level, then de-duplicate them, put them all together

·         query UserProfile_DB database and the UserProfile_Full table

For the second task, see this article:

http://www.simego.com/Blog/2010/03/sharepoint-import-csv-excel-data-file

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

You could divide your requirement into two tasks. Firstly, extract the entire UserProfile AD user details into a CSV file, then import the csv file into a SharePoint list.

For the first task, you have three choices:

·         export from the "Central Administration" - "Manage User Profiles" section

·         write the code solution to export all the user level detail from the site-collection level, then de-duplicate them, put them all together

·         query UserProfile_DB database and the UserProfile_Full table

For the second task, see this article:

http://www.simego.com/Blog/2010/03/sharepoint-import-csv-excel-data-file

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:11 AM
  • I should have been more clear. I am not looking to do this myself. Rather, I am looking for an easy way for site managers to do it. Specifically, I have a user base of project managers as site managers. They want a quick and easy way to pull the users on their project teams into a contact list. 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, there is no direct or easy method for your question.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:38 AM