none
Naming convention in SharePoint

Question

• Hi !

Can any one tell me how we should name the documents and folders to simplify design in document mangement.

If a company has many clients and all these clients have same type of documents but with different information.Some design structure that can avoid many sub folders ,yet simple easy to classify information.

Thanks!!
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:27 PM general q (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• In the opinion of many of us, using folders is bad design. Instead use Views.

Moving to General as this isn't specifically Admin.

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Kisha_sp Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:15 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion I am against using folders in SharePoint.  Instead I would advise the use of metadata.  From that metadata you can build views, and users can filter to make it easier to find the documents they need.

Tips for naming documents in SharePoint Do NOT use characters in your file names, such as: ~ # % & * { } \ : < > ? / + | " . _  These characters are illegal and you will not be able to use them in your document name.

Avoid using spaces in your filenames and keep filenames short.  Use metadata to help distinguish the document and ease find ability.  Spaces in document names are translated to html "%20" in the address which adds 3 characters to the file name for every space and creates an unfriendly url.

Do NOT name your documents with multiple periods. ex:  document.doc.docx.doc

Advice tips for using metadata:

1. Don't reinvent the wheel.  Microsoft already has added many metadata fields within the document.  If you duplicate a metadata column you are causing unecessary work for yourself, and also you could make searching on that metadata more confusing.  In addition to metadata that already exists in the document there are already Site Columns that you can use. 
    2. Think it through.  If there is no existing metadata field in the document or available as a Site Column ask yourself if this will need to be used again in other libraries throughout the site collection.  If yes, then create a site column, and if no then create a column in the document library.

Hopefull those tips help.

Sincerely,
    Karl
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Here naming convention depends on what are your business requirements and needs.I feel that to much level of document
    depth and too many folder structure and clicks might not interest user.

As they want as less clicks as possible so good naming convention can avoid and resolve what i call document depth.

Here it is very important that every body organize and decide in their team how are they going to name a document.

I had to design Document library where i my company had too many clients

for example ABC client had documents like FORM,MSA1,POC,PRJ..

then some of  these document needed approval work flow.So instead of having different folder if we name this like ABC2009FRM this tell
    us that for ABC client this is Form document for year 2009.So you can have all the documents for different clients in one library and avoid too many folders.And they are all just one click away and you can create views on it based on your filters.

Thanks!!!
    • Proposed as answer by J3ff C0ll1ns Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:53 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Here are a few thoughts on this subject:
    First of all, do the best you can to locate the document library so it is obvious to someone searching for a document where to look (in this case, which website).
    Next, use columns to provide additional information about the document (tagging, metadata, classification, etc.).  Site columns in SharePoint are an important feature, if you do not understand what they are, take the time to read up on them.
    Next, it is important to know there are two key fields to name a document.  Title and name.  Name is the actual filename.  Title is a text field.
    I use the NAME field as a way to provide simple at-a-glance understanding of the document content for example MOMS-HAMBURGER-RECIPE.docx
    I don't use spaces even though it is supported.
    The TITLE field I use to describe the document in a way to attact the attention of the search engine when someone comes looking for the document.  For example: Mom's hamburger recipe with chili and jalapenos

Most of the time the document naming is to compensate for a short coming in the taxonomy.

Keep your biggest files off on shared drives and have sharepoint link to them.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:25 PM