none
List Templates

Question

• Hoping someone can help or tell me if this is a known issue...

Repro Steps:

Created a list with InfoPath for testing purposes on my main site. http://collaborate
    Saved list as template (made sure to select "include content") -- Timsheet Template.
    Then added a subsite. http://collaborate/hr
    Created new list and selected Timesheet Template.

The list is created but none of the columns are there. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! 
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:59 PM

Answers

• I see what you are saying now. The List is getting created in SharePoint of course and InfoPath is just facilitating the creation of it.

Not sure why your list template is not letting you create the list with all of its content. Seems to be something that InfoPath is doing when creating the list which is messing things up. If I were you, I would create the list in SharePoint and Then use InfoPath to customize it. After that, save this list as a template and instantiate a new list from it. See if that process works fine (I was able to verify in my own environment that this consistently works as expected).
    Asif Rehmani, MVP. Host of http://www.sharepoint-videos.com (SharePoint and InfoPath Video Tutorials). Co-author of Book "Professional SharePoint Designer 2007"
    • Marked as answer by Mr Jstin Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• Just some more information...none of the subsites (/hr, /training, /support) have the List Templates option in Site Settings.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:05 AM
  • I'll reply to your second post first:
    The List Templates option in Site Settings only exists at the top level site of the site collection. This takes you to the List Templates Gallery. There is only one gallery per site collection. Once you create a list template there, it can be used by any sites in the site collection. So what you are seeing is expected behavior and it works the same way in SharePoint 2007 as well.

Alright, so let's now talk about your first post. You cannot create 'lists' using InfoPath. You can modify list forms using InfoPath 2010, but that's a different story. What I'm assuming you mean here is that you created a Forms Library by publishing an InfoPath form template to your top level site. Then you saved that as a template with content and then tried to use that template to create a new instance of that library in a subsite. These steps should work if performed in this sequence. However, when publishing a template like you are doing for your Timesheet Template application, I would suggest publishing your form from InfoPath directly to your subsite instead. Either do this or publish your form to a content type and then attach that content type to a form library in your top site and subsite.

Hope this helps.

Asif Rehmani, MVP. Host of http://www.sharepoint-videos.com (SharePoint and InfoPath Video Tutorials). Co-author of Book "Professional SharePoint Designer 2007"
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Hi Asif -

Thank for your assistance with this.

In regards to the second post, thanks that clears up that I suppose!

In regards to the first post...let me walk through the steps I've been following. It seems to me I can create a "list" using InfoPath so perhaps I'm confused?

First, Open InfoPath 2010.
    Select from available Form Templates -> SharePoint List.
    Select Design this Form.
    Enter URL of SharePoint 2010 collection.
    Dialog appears stating:
    Create a new SharePoint List.
    Enter new listname I want form to correlate fields to and hit Finish.

Then I create my form w/ fields and publish to collection. I see a nice new list and form that saves the fields to columns and life is good. Seems like creating a list is working fine?

Now the issue is just when I save the list as a template to the gallery. I can see this template in the gallery but none of the content is getting saved -> ie no column information, etc is saved.

Make sense? Happy to allow you to share desktop to see this ...

Saturday, December 19, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I see what you are saying now. The List is getting created in SharePoint of course and InfoPath is just facilitating the creation of it.

Not sure why your list template is not letting you create the list with all of its content. Seems to be something that InfoPath is doing when creating the list which is messing things up. If I were you, I would create the list in SharePoint and Then use InfoPath to customize it. After that, save this list as a template and instantiate a new list from it. See if that process works fine (I was able to verify in my own environment that this consistently works as expected).
    • Marked as answer by Mr Jstin Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I'll reply to your second post first:
    The List Templates option in Site Settings only exists at the top level site of the site collection. This takes you to the List Tempates Gallery. There is only one gallery per site collection. Once you create a list template there, it can be used by any sites in the site collection. So what you are seeing is expected behavior and it works the same way in SharePoint 2007 as well.

Alright, so let's now talk about your first post. You cannot create 'lists' using InfoPath. You can modify list forms using InfoPath 2010, but that's a different story. What I'm assuming you mean here is that you created a Forms Library by publishing an InfoPath form template to your top level site. Then you saved that as a template with content and then tried to use that template to create a new instance of that library in a subsite. These steps should work if performed in this sequence. However, when publishing a template like you are doing for your Timesheet Template application, I would suggest publishing your form from InfoPath directly to your subsite instead. Either do this or publish your form to a content type and then attach that content type to a form library in your top site and subsite.

Hope this helps.

It's helpful to me, It's good for reference, Many thanks to your description! I understand this part.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 11:11 PM
  • hey asif can you help me i want to create one infopath form which i have to deploy in my SharePoint list programmatically.

There is nothing to do manually .please help me out if you have any code or solution

Friday, December 23, 2011 5:55 AM