none
What is the name of executable file (.exe) for "Excel Calculation Service" in MOSS ?

Question

•  

Hi All,

I am stuck up with my custom web part development which intends to interact with Excel Service of MOSS and check whether the excel calculation service is up/down programatically.

But to do this I want to know the name of executable file (.exe) that corresponds to "Excel Calculation Service" in MOSS.

Please Help asap.

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:05 AM

Answers

• Well, it's not that simple.

There are a number of DLLs loaded into the w3wp that runs Excel Services. The reason why I am not giving you more information is because the name of the DLLs and the name of the process in which they live (w3wp) my change in future versions.

The easiest way to see if Excel Services is alive is to call the GetApiVersion() method and see that it succeeds. If it works, it means Excel Services should be active and installed.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:01 AM
  •  

Huh. Good point. That just returns the version of the API. The method I wanted you to call is "GetSessionInformation", however, that guy is only usable when you pass in a valid session.

Hmm. My only suggestion is that you call "OpenWorkbook" with a bogus workbook name - then check out the SOAP subcode - if it's "Cannot load workbook" - I dont rememeber the exact name - then it means you are up. If it's a different error, it means you are not.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:00 PM

All replies

• I do not know the answer to that, but I'm curious as to what you'll do with that information?

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:53 PM
  • Excel Services does not have its own executable - it runs as part of one of the w3wp.exe processes.

Depending on WHY you want to check if Excel Services is up, I may or may not be able to help you. Please explain what action you wish to take due to the service being up or down and I will try to help.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:24 AM
  • Hi Shahar,

Thanks a lot for your guidance. But still I need more help like if it is part of w3wp.exe then is it a thread? If yes then what's the thread (.dll) name.

My basic aim is to check for the availibility of Excel Calculation Service which would help me to give descriptive error messages.

If I am heading in the wrong direction please suggest some alternate way to programatically check the availability of Excel Calculation Service.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:56 AM
  • Well, it's not that simple.

There are a number of DLLs loaded into the w3wp that runs Excel Services. The reason why I am not giving you more information is because the name of the DLLs and the name of the process in which they live (w3wp) my change in future versions.

The easiest way to see if Excel Services is alive is to call the GetApiVersion() method and see that it succeeds. If it works, it means Excel Services should be active and installed.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Hello Shahar,

Thanks once again.

I was trying to use that trick but I get an exception namely:

"Excel Web Services could not determine the Windows SharePoint Services site context of the calling process "

when I try to create the object of class Excel Service.

Please Help on this I think we are very near to check the availability of Excel Service thanks to your inputs. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:44 AM
  • Where are you calling this from? A Webpart, or just a C# program? Are you using Web-Services or a direct link?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Hi Shahar,

In my case I am using a Web Part and trying to use Web Service to check the availability.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:02 AM
  •  

So just to make sure I understand - you did an "Add Web Services" and are using that?

Can you check if you are refernecing a DLL called something like Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.WebServices.DLL?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:19 AM
  • Hi Shahar,

I got it now,my web part is working fine.

But the question is as you have asked me to use GetApiVersion() method to check the availability of Excel Cal Service.

[WebMethodAttribute] 
    public string GetApiVersion 
    (
        out Status[] status
    )
    it returns the "The version string of Excel Web Services" irrespective of whether the Excel service is up/down.Will the status array help me here?

Sincere Thanks to you for your guidance and time.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:44 AM
  •  

Huh. Good point. That just returns the version of the API. The method I wanted you to call is "GetSessionInformation", however, that guy is only usable when you pass in a valid session.

Hmm. My only suggestion is that you call "OpenWorkbook" with a bogus workbook name - then check out the SOAP subcode - if it's "Cannot load workbook" - I dont rememeber the exact name - then it means you are up. If it's a different error, it means you are not.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:00 PM
  • Hi PiCVik,

I'm having the same error when trying to instantiate an object of the class Excel Service.  How did you fix yours?  I'm pulling my hair out.  I have a console app to test the connection and I've included a reference to the Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.WebServices.dll.  Any suggestions are welcomed!!!!

Thanks,

Pat

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Remove the reference and add a Web Reference as explained in this post.

Saturday, February 02, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Hi Shahar,

The OpenWorkbook(ExcelURL, "en-US", "en-US" , out status) is throwing the following exception:

"Excel Web Services could not determine the Windows SharePoint Services site context of the calling process"

Please note:

1> I'm using Excel web service Web Reference (i.e not refering to Office excel service dll)
    2> The excel file is in trusted location.
    3> I'm able to browse the excel file using IE using the same URL that I'm passing to OpenWorkBook().

Please let me know what could be the problem?

Thanks,

SP

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:34 PM