none
Install Error -- The install in progress conflicts with a previous installed MS Office 2010 Server Product

Question

• Hi,

Working on a development image in Hyper-V.  This image had never had any beta installed of any product.  Had SharePoint Server 2010 and Office Web Apps installed but another installation of another product messed up IIS settings.  It was easier to just uninstall both and start again.  I uninstalled both fine but now when I try to reinstall SharePoint I get an error message saying:

"The install install in progress conflicts with a previous installed Microsft Office 2010 Server Product"

I have done multiple reboots, manually deleted the SharePoint folders on the machine and run CC Cleaner.  Still I get this error.

I even tried the advice suggsted in this blog post: http://blogs.technet.com/chad/archive/2010/04/28/Installing-SharePoint-2010-RTM-Over-Previous-Versions.aspx even though I never had beta installed.

Anyone have anythoughts?

My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:09 PM

Answers

• The problem indeed was related with Office Web Apps only but removing from installed programs didn't actually help. I used a MS utility "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" that showed 6-7 versions of Office Web Apps installed (including various languages like Spanish, Russian etc., which I didn't ever install separately). I selected all the listed ones, having Office Web Apps in their name and removed. After that SharePoint 2010 installed like a charm... :)

Anupam Shrivastava
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• I have the exact same issue here. Tried the steps described in the link above, but 4 items remain in the registry:

Microsoft Office Web Apps Application Server Components

Microsoft Office Web Apps Web Front End Components

Microsoft Office Web Apps English Language Pack

Microsoft Application Error Reporting

I have to say that I was in the process of installing Microsoft Office Web Apps when my machine crashed. Then SharePoint was not working anymore, so I tried uninstalling it. It seems to be the Office Web Apps component that remain, but Uninstall is not available for it in Control Panel > Programs and Features

Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Considering the solutions you have already tried, I would suggest to go and rebuild this system again :)  If you have ample amount of time, then you can wait for others to responsd.

By the way, you mentioned "another product messed up".  May we know what is this product you are referring to?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 3:51 AM
  • I'm encountering the exact same problem and I decided that this was my only option.  This is very annoying since this test server is also my domain controller test and I'm going to have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, but I guess no one is going to provide another solution... :-/
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I finally figured it out.  It was the registry entries for the Office Web Apps.  I manually deleted them (always a scary proposition) and then rebooted and did a final pass with CC Cleaner and it worked.  
    My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:16 PM
  • The problem indeed was related with Office Web Apps only but removing from installed programs didn't actually help. I used a MS utility "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" that showed 6-7 versions of Office Web Apps installed (including various languages like Spanish, Russian etc., which I didn't ever install separately). I selected all the listed ones, having Office Web Apps in their name and removed. After that SharePoint 2010 installed like a charm... :)

Anupam Shrivastava
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Thank you Anupam.  Using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility I was able to resolve this issue.
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:04 PM
  • this fixed my issue as well.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Thanks Anupam... Your solution resolved my issue too
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:15 PM
  • When I just followed the steps in Chad's article and then tried to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility I still had the same problem. The three keys below still didn't get deleted:

Microsoft Office Web Apps Application Server Components
    Microsoft Office Web Apps Web Front End Components
    Microsoft Office Web Apps English Language Pack

They all had the /I switch specified in the UninstallString, so I had to change that to /X. After that I rebooted and the keys were finally removed from the registry and I could install successfully.

One other thing to note is that SharePoint Designer 2010 also appears among these keys and it should not be deleted unless that's desirable.

Cheers,

Tristan
    • Proposed as answer by TristanWatkins Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Hi All,

I had the same issue - I had uninstalled sharepoint and was about to start ripping the registry apart when I thought I would try some of the above suggestions.  In fact the Microsoft FixIt app for Office 2010 fixed my problems - again it was due to Office Web Apps.  The Windows installation clean up utility isn't availble anymore but the office 2010 uninstall fixed my issue

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737366

Thanks to all above for pointing me in the right directon.

Alex

• Proposed as answer by NateClark Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:27 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Tristan,

Thanks. I had the exact same issue and that worked great.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi All,

I had the same issue - I had uninstalled sharepoint and was about to start ripping the registry apart when I thought I would try some of the above suggestions.  In fact the Microsoft FixIt app for Office 2010 fixed my problems - again it was due to Office Web Apps.  The Windows installation clean up utility isn't availble anymore but the office 2010 uninstall fixed my issue

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737366

Thanks to all above for pointing me in the right directon.

Alex

Fixed the issue for me.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Yup, 8 version of Office Web Apps successfully removed by Cleanup Utility.  Install then worked.
    Friday, March 30, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Yup, 8 version of Office Web Apps successfully removed by Cleanup Utility.  Install then worked.

I also used the newer version called Microsoft Fix It to uninstall the language packs and other Office Web Apps programs and that Fixed It for me.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility was replaced with the Fit It

Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:51 PM