none
SharePoint 2010 Datasheet View Error - "The selected cells are read-only"

Question

• I edit in Datasheet view then have message box "The selected cells are read-only" (message box see below picture )

information

Could you help me please.

Thanks krab.

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if all the column cannot edit in datasheet view or only the pagegroup cannot edit.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Thanks, This issue happen user login FBA if login Windows Authentication no problem.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

have you created the list using list schema,

If this is the case please check if the schema is correct. For FBA even i faced the same issue as i created the list schema using foundation and deployed it in the server edition.

there was some issue with the schema xml.

Thanks and Regards

Arun Sahu

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi there, 

After spending loads of time on this myself and having our SharePoint Support Group escalate a ticket to Microsoft, I finally found the answer I was looking for.  I read many posts about Content approval, which has always been off, and a few other ideas -none of which worked.  

So, here was the solution that worked for me.  Download SharePoint Designer...  That was it..  SOOO Frustrating.  I downloaded Designer and tried to edit just as before and it worked.  

I had a WinXP Pro laptop with Designer loaded and could edit in Datasheet view no problem.  When I upgraded to a new Win7 laptop (without SharePoint Designer) I no longer was able to edit.  After many weeks in fear of having to edit over 500 files one by one I am now able to edit as intended.  I am not sure what file is in the package that allows editing in datasheet view but it works

You can download SharePoint Designer directly form the Microsoft site.. Search for Microsoft SharePoint Designer or follow the link below. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16573

I really hope this post helps those people how still have an issue.  

Cheers!!!

• Edited by RyGuy82 Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:58 PM clarity
    Friday, May 25, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Any update on this issue?

I happen to have a very similiar issue.

thanks,

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Have a look at this thread, it might shed some light.....  It certainly fits my scenario.

If it helps, Nico Martens also (very helpfully) posted this workaround in his blog here: http://sharepointrelated.com/2012/01/20/cells-read-only-in-datasheet-view-when-using-office-2007/

Nick

• Edited by SPNick Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:58 AM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding this issue, I have got a KB link on my Blog (http://sharepointrelated.com/2012/01/20/cells-read-only-in-datasheet-view-when-using-office-2007/)

Nico Martens - MCTS, MCITP
    SharePoint 2010 Infrastructure Consultant / Trainer

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Hi there, 

After spending loads of time on this myself and having our SharePoint Support Group escalate a ticket to Microsoft, I finally found the answer I was looking for.  I read many posts about Content approval, which has always been off, and a few other ideas -none of which worked.  

So, here was the solution that worked for me.  Download SharePoint Designer...  That was it..  SOOO Frustrating.  I downloaded Designer and tried to edit just as before and it worked.  

I had a WinXP Pro laptop with Designer loaded and could edit in Datasheet view no problem.  When I upgraded to a new Win7 laptop (without SharePoint Designer) I no longer was able to edit.  After many weeks in fear of having to edit over 500 files one by one I am now able to edit as intended.  I am not sure what file is in the package that allows editing in datasheet view but it works

You can download SharePoint Designer directly form the Microsoft site.. Search for Microsoft SharePoint Designer or follow the link below. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16573

I really hope this post helps those people how still have an issue.  

Cheers!!!

16 Months later I have the problem and didn't find the solution. In my case - and that's why I quoted the post above - could be related to SP designer, as the behaviour came up AFTER I work with SP-Designer on the site collections (happened on 2 site collections on the same SP 2010 farm). On one site I did absolutely no changes and simply closed Designer after "doing nothing", on the other I published I list workflow and a reusable workflow. Office Version is Office 2010. Running Windows 7 on 64-Bit. Other persons with different permissions made the same experience on these lists.

Any ideas? please help!

Regards.

j. 

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hi J,

Simple thing first.  Check to see if your list / library has any multiple line columns.  If it does, set these to text or Rich Text NOT enhanced rich text.  That often generates this error message.

Please let us know if this doesn't work or if your list/library doesn't have these columns present.

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:59 AM
    Answerer