none
Feasibility Assessment of Moving MS Access Relational Database To SharePoint

Question

• I am assessing the feasibility of migrating some of the core tables in a department MS Access relational database to lists on Microsoft SharePoint server in order to expand accessibility to users and improve security by keeping core data stores on the sharepoint server rather than in a MS Access database on a file server.   We would still maintain a baseline access database that is linked to the sharepoint lists for running append queries, update queries, and other additional features for select users to maintain and update data.

One concern I have is I know that SharePoint server does not enforce referential integrity or relationships among lists so what is the best workaround to ensure that if a primary key attribute is changed in one list that also acts as a foreign key in another list is sharepoints equivalent to maintaining referential integrity?

John B. IT Business Analyst
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In SP2007 integration with access you are limited to linking the tables to lists or exporting them to lists altogether. Most folks link as this allows you to update in either location. However, in SP2010 you can create Web Enabled Access Databases that live in SharePoint which is a huge step forward ...

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 1:26 PM