none
Appointment and Scheduling Calendar

Question

• Hello, I'm creating a sharepoint 2010 calendar for a large group. Within that group there is a group of photographers that I want everyone else to be able to schedule appointments with.

My goal is to set up a sharepoint calendar in which users who go to the sharepoint page I created can create appointments for themselves through the calendar. Those appointments they make would then update the photographers calendar, and send them an reminder. I'd like the public calendar to then show the created schedule time as being busy for that photographer so others don't try to book during the same time.

I'd normally create this feature through a CMS I'm comfortable with but since everyone is already using Outlook and other MS tools this seems to be the most logical direction. 

Would you be able to guide me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance!

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:19 PM

All replies

• If I have this right, each photographer has their own calendar. In addition, there is one public calendar. Each appointment on the public calendar also makes an entry into the calendar of the photographer they are scheduling with, so that a visit to that photogapher's calendar shows all of the appointments made from the 1 public calendar.

This is not difficult to achieve and there are a few ways to do it. The easiest would be to make a calendar with all of the fields you want and save it as a template. Use the template to make the public calendar and each photographer's calendar. Then use a SharePoint Deisgner workflow to copy each entry to the public calendar to the proper photographer's calendar. For a more complete solution, you would also need to delete the public calendar from each photographer's calendar if they cancelled the appointment.

If you need more details please let me know and I can respond in more detail with this solution. I would also probably make content types for the appointments so that I could roll up the data for other purposes potentially.

If you use the Events list type, you can also sync and follow the calendar from outlook, which natively integrates in this way with SharePoint event lists.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, I'm going to take a swing at what you proposed and get back to you. After posting, I had found someone who created a checkout system here:

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/Blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=449

I was looking at using their resources (cameras, recorder, etc) and swap that for photographer names. However, I don't know if I'll run into some trouble down the line, especially if I wan't to show busy times for the photographers for non-photo shoot appointments (ie, days off, meetings, etc).

I'll keep you posted. Thx!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:54 PM
  • If you ever come around any spare time, it would be helpful for me if you could go into more detail. I know it's not all that fun to help a novice but your direction is greatly appreciated.  

Your understanding of what I'm trying to do is spot on. In addition to allowing people to reserve times with the photographers and have that information post publicly as well as to the specific photographer, I want to make sure that each photography can add "busy" times that the public could not reserve over. This way when the photographers are busy w/other projects they won't be double booked.

I'm using Sharepoint 2010. I think I may be making this harder than it needs to be. Part of my hesitation now is if I'm even beginning with the proper template (ie, team site, group work site, etc) or if this even matters. When you say make a calendar w/fields, I must admit I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying to create a calendar column and then a calendar view?

I'll keep at it. Thanks again.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:07 PM