none
Reset Content Index verses a Full Crawl

Question

• What exactly is the difference between reseting the content index and a full crawl?  I assume that reseting removes all data and starts fresh so I assume that a full crawl doesn't?  Exactly what is retained during a full crawl that isn't retained by a reset?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:26 PM

Answers

• A full crawl will perform a full crawl of the content source and then "hot swap" the old index with the new index.
    Resetting the content index will completely clear the old index allowing you to then start a fresh index with a full crawl.

Resetting the content index is more of a debugging or problem solving strategy rather than something that should be done on a scheduled basis.

MCTS: SharePoint 2007, Web Applications
    MCPD: Web Developer
    My Blog: http://corypeters.net
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:25 PM
  • If resetting your index is an option for your environment, I'd go that route before attempting a full crawl. In our environment, full crawls take significantly longer if they are being done against an existing set of items vs. a blank index. The first time a Full Crawl is performed after an index reset, it blasts right through the items with virtually no problems. But if I try another full crawl on that same content source, I usually encounter errors. I think the issue is that when doing a full crawl when the items already exist, it not only has to add the new items but also get rid of the old ones. Against the blank index, it only has to do one thing. Our index has over 2 million items, so full crawls are something we only do once a year or so.
    Murray
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Hi Byron,

Reset content index deletes the content index and the property store. It deletes all the index. A full crawl will not empty the index but adds new content, modifies changed content and removes deleted content from the index. This is the difference between “reset content index” and “full crawl”.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:20 AM

All replies

• A full crawl will perform a full crawl of the content source and then "hot swap" the old index with the new index.
    Resetting the content index will completely clear the old index allowing you to then start a fresh index with a full crawl.

Resetting the content index is more of a debugging or problem solving strategy rather than something that should be done on a scheduled basis.

MCTS: SharePoint 2007, Web Applications
    MCPD: Web Developer
    My Blog: http://corypeters.net
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:25 PM
  • That's pretty much what I understood, but there must be a difference or there'd be no reason to do a reset verses a full crawl.   For example it's recommended to do a reset if you suspect corruption in your index.  What does reseting do that a full crawl wouldn't?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:50 PM
  • If resetting your index is an option for your environment, I'd go that route before attempting a full crawl. In our environment, full crawls take significantly longer if they are being done against an existing set of items vs. a blank index. The first time a Full Crawl is performed after an index reset, it blasts right through the items with virtually no problems. But if I try another full crawl on that same content source, I usually encounter errors. I think the issue is that when doing a full crawl when the items already exist, it not only has to add the new items but also get rid of the old ones. Against the blank index, it only has to do one thing. Our index has over 2 million items, so full crawls are something we only do once a year or so.
    Murray
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Hi Byron,

Reset content index deletes the content index and the property store. It deletes all the index. A full crawl will not empty the index but adds new content, modifies changed content and removes deleted content from the index. This is the difference between “reset content index” and “full crawl”.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Hi,

I am also trying to find out what the exact difference is. If the info above is correct, what is then the difference between full crawl and incremental crawl because "will not empty the index but adds new content, modifies changed content and removes deleted content from the index" is in my opinion the definition of an incremental crawl?

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:46 AM