none
Cannot insert reusable content into publishing site page using chrome or safari

Question

• Hi,

We have a publishing site and we use the Reusable Content list extensively with Reusable HTML items. Basically when using Safari or Chrome to edit a page, our users cannot insert reusable content into a rich HTML field.

• They place their cursor into the field
    • go to the Insert tab on the ribbon
    • The RC button is active
    • They click and choose 'more choices' from the drop menu
    • The ReusableTextPicker.aspx interface comes up
    • They choose a reusable content item
    • They click ok

The reusable content does not insert into the page. According to this, Chrome is supported http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526.aspx, and Safari is partially supported.

I have tested this in a fresh out of box publishing site, a team site, and a publishing site with Service Pack 1 applied to it. I am using Safari and Chrome on Windows 7, but have had complaints from our mac users as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It is often very difficult to troubleshoot UI issues in forum as there could be multiple reasons for this behavior. It is true that SP 2010 does support reusable content in multiple browsers. So this could be very specific to the customizations done at the master page, page layouts etc...

To start with:

Are the users adding anymore content (such as webparts) into the page which contains re-usable content as well? If yes, have you upgraded your farm to Jun 2011 CU? Check out http://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/sharepoint-2010-publishing-editor-bug-don%E2%80%99t-mix-up-web-parts-and-reusable-content-in-publishing-field/ for more details.

If the above is not the case, I suggest you do a round of tests YOURSELF (as sometimes users could be using a conflicting HTML or a javascript etc resulting in not rendering the reusable HTML content) with just the re-usable content in the page and let us know the behavior.

Hope this helps...

-Sangeetha

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Thanks Sangeetha, I appreciate the response, and the article.

I did test this myself on a pristine, un-customized, out of box SharePoint 2010 publishing site, on a page with no web parts, and was able to replicate the behavior in Safari. I also tested this on a service pack 1 site.

The issue is not that the reusable content disappears when the page is saved with a web part, it is that the reusable content will not insert into the page at all if you use the “more options” link on the ribbon.

Thanks very much,

Jen

• Edited by Jen CU Denver Tuesday, May 01, 2012 3:15 PM weirp code showed up in my text, cleaning it up
    Monday, April 30, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I am not able to test the same myself and provide you a feedback. Since you say the behavior is observed with OoB sites as well, you should open a new MS Support ticket.

Do post back if there are any further findings... 

-Sangeetha

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:36 PM