none
MOSS 2007 crawling types ?

Question

• Hello All,

I have some really simple questions. I would like to know the difference between the crawling types supported by MOSS 2007, viz.
    1. Full crawl
    2. Incremental crawl
    3. Adaptive crawl

Also, does MOSS support Adaptive crawling ?

Thanks and Regards
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:30 AM There is NO need for two question marks in Titles
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Abby,

No, "addaptive crawl" does not exist anymore

If anyone can give a better explanation for the crawl types, be my guest... but here you have my point of view:

- full crawl

- crawls all content sources and builds an index.

- also needed for configuring managed properties

- also needed for exposing properties to scopes

- incremental crawl

- uses the "change log" (see other postings in this forum) to update the index with items being added, modified, deleted... and some other things --> so not really a rebuild of the index, but an update

- far more performant than full crawl

Regards

Tom

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Abby,

No, "addaptive crawl" does not exist anymore

If anyone can give a better explanation for the crawl types, be my guest... but here you have my point of view:

- full crawl

- crawls all content sources and builds an index.

- also needed for configuring managed properties

- also needed for exposing properties to scopes

- incremental crawl

- uses the "change log" (see other postings in this forum) to update the index with items being added, modified, deleted... and some other things --> so not really a rebuild of the index, but an update

- far more performant than full crawl

Regards

Tom

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:55 AM
  • Thanks Tom !! I appreciate your response.

I would also like to know where I can read about these crawling methods in-depth. Why was adaptive crawling abandoned in MOSS 2007?

Cheers !!
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:50 AM
  • Hi Abby,

When you perform an incremental crawl, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Search:

• Crawls the content specified in the content source you are crawling that does not already exist in the index.
    • Crawls content that does exist in the index but has been updated on the host server since the last crawl.
    • Removes from the index all content for the content source being crawled that no longer exists on the host server.
    You can find more information here:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/b9b0e60a-574a-41fa-ba0f-61fe3a360c131033.mspx?mfr=true

When you perform a full crawl, all content specified by the content source you are crawling is crawled even if the content already exists in the index.

You can find more information here:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/d31a3723-8d8b-4930-aa55-f105d5e0e8641033.mspx?mfr=true

Crawl content (Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Search)

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/d31a3723-8d8b-4930-aa55-f105d5e0e8641033.mspx?mfr=true

Kind regards,

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:47 AM